• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Mint Set

26 posts in this topic

I have continued my collecting efforts in other dates.

Just today, I made a series of purchases that catapulted my 1964 mint set into the #2 position.

Once I receive the 1964-D quarter NGC MS67 that I won on Great Collections, I'll be in the #1 spot.

We likes this, my preciousss; yes, yess we does. 

On 9/11/2022 at 8:05 PM, Coinbuf said:

Congrats on your new purchases and on moving your set to the top in the registry.  :golfclap:

You're very welcome, good sir.

I'm not done just yet, as I've got my eye on a 1964 Kennedy half in NGC MS67; this one will further-cement my hold on the top spot.

Gentlemen:

Your kind words are gratefully received.

Nest up on my acquisition list is a 1964 Washington quarter in the grade of NGC MS67. My current specimen of this issue is NGC MS66, so my net gain will be 1,774 points. 

On 9/19/2022 at 3:01 PM, Legionary1 said:

Thanks for the encouragement and approval.

Next up on my acquisition list is a '64 Kennedy in NGC MS67. As my present specimen is graded NGC MS66, this will net me a further 1,235 registry points.

Good hunting!!   You have a nice lead now but a little extra point buffer never hurts.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/20/2022 at 11:28 AM, Coinbuf said:

Good hunting!!   You have a nice lead now but a little extra point buffer never hurts.

Your kind words are gratefully accepted sir.

After the '64 Kennedy, there's the '64-D Kennedy in NGC MS67.

I have no great hope of getting a '64 Lincoln in NGC MS67, as that issue in that grade is scarcer than an honest politician (or the '40-S walker in NGC MS67...;))...

Three cheers and a tiger for me.

The lead of my 1964 mint set doth continue to increase, as I was just successful in swapping out my '64 Kennedy in NGC MS66 fro the same issue in NGC MS67; my thanks to Executive Coin Company in Ohio for facilitating the purchase.

On 9/11/2022 at 8:55 PM, Legionary1 said:

I have continued my collecting efforts in other dates.

Just today, I made a series of purchases that catapulted my 1964 mint set into the #2 position.

Once I receive the 1964-D quarter NGC MS67 that I won on Great Collections, I'll be in the #1 spot.

We likes this, my preciousss; yes, yess we does. 

Nice! But I thought Gollum liked his coins "raw and wiggly". :grin:

On 9/26/2022 at 7:16 AM, Legionary1 said:

Three cheers and a tiger for me.

The lead of my 1964 mint set doth continue to increase, as I was just successful in swapping out my '64 Kennedy in NGC MS66 fro the same issue in NGC MS67; my thanks to Executive Coin Company in Ohio for facilitating the purchase.

Congrats, you made short work of the competition for this set. :)

On 9/28/2022 at 8:26 PM, Coinbuf said:

Congrats, you made short work of the competition for this set. :)

As ever, your kind words are gratefully accepted.

In regards to finding a '64 Lincoln in NGC MS67, that one will be more difficult to locate than an honest politician...

Edited by Legionary1

Sorry, this is what I hate about slabs and the registry. It has become more about the number on the label rhen the coin,and that makes things more of a spitting contest than an attempt to have a collection of coins that pleases.

But, just my thinking.

Again, sorry 

On 11/15/2022 at 6:51 AM, Moxie15 said:

Sorry, this is what I hate about slabs and the registry. It has become more about the number on the label rhen the coin,and that makes things more of a spitting contest than an attempt to have a collection of coins that pleases.

But, just my thinking.

Again, sorry 

So are you saying that you find the MS66 example to display better eye appeal than the new MS67 coin?

On 11/15/2022 at 6:12 PM, Moxie15 said:

never said anything close to that.

Too bad, I was hoping there was a good reason for your baseless bashing post.    This is the registry section of the forum, and the competitive registry is built around awarding points for the coin that are used.   The higher the grade the more points, therefore I see no reason why a member could not discuss the points when discussing an upgrade, but that is just my thinking.   Thanks for clearing that up.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 11/16/2022 at 5:16 PM, Coinbuf said:

Too bad, I was hoping there was a good reason for your baseless bashing post.    This is the registry section of the forum, and the competitive registry is built around awarding points for the coin that are used.   The higher the grade the more points, therefore I see no reason why a member could not discuss the points when discussing an upgrade, but that is just my thinking.   Thanks for clearing that up.

...Sighs deeply...

I come here from time to time to try to understand what it is about all this that makes coin collectors forget about coins and fixate on points, and label numbers. I have feared for almost forty years what grading and slabbing would bring. I guess dissent is just baseless bashing. So I will just move along with the realization that like fashion all coin collecting takes anymore is looks and a whole lot of money. I hope you enjoy the competition.

On 11/17/2022 at 7:10 AM, Moxie15 said:

...Sighs deeply...

I come here from time to time to try to understand what it is about all this that makes coin collectors forget about coins and fixate on points, and label numbers. I have feared for almost forty years what grading and slabbing would bring. I guess dissent is just baseless bashing. So I will just move along with the realization that like fashion all coin collecting takes anymore is looks and a whole lot of money. I hope you enjoy the competition.

Where to begin, doh! the hobby of coin collecting has many paths.   While it is indeed likely that there are some collectors that fixate on the points and labels you are painting with a very broad brush and making a great many assumptions.   There is no field manual for the right way to collect coins, some collect only perfect MS or PF 70 moderns, some only collect extremely well circulated coins, coin collecting is a personal decision that each collector makes depending on his or her goals.   Sure, if a collector wishes to have a top-ranking registry set they will most likely have to purchase very high-grade coins.   But it is very wrong of you to assume that it is only the points that drive the desire to purchase high grade coins.   I can only speak for myself, but when I buy an upgrade I buy a coin that is better in quality, not because the grade on the label says so but because I say the new coin is better.   This year I bought an MS68 coin to upgrade a previous MS67, yes that new coin did indeed give me more points for my set; but I bought that coin because it is a much nicer coin not just because of the grade on the label.   Having said that yes there are collectors that are focused on the points and label, their hobby their choice.   You don't have to like it but there is no need for you to bash them, in their own thread, for making a choice that fits their collecting goals.

Yes TPGs, slabs, and the digital age has changed coin collecting and how we interact with other collectors.   But collectors have been competing with and against each other since coin collecting began.   So, this is nothing new and has been happening for way longer than 40 years.

No, dissent by itself is not just baseless bashing, but when you participate in a thread and attack the op of that thread simply because, "you don't get it" that is not dissent that is an attack.   You did not ask the op if he thought the upgrade coin was a better coin or did he just buy it for the points, you made an assumption.   Look I personally will never understand the desire of some to collect lowball coins, or coin roll hunt, those areas in the hobby will never appeal to me.   But it would be very wrong for me to jump into a member's thread and attack them just because, in your words, they fixate on the label or don't collect in a way that I find proper.   If lowballs make them happy it simply does not matter if I understand the desire to do that.  

No need for the drama, coin collecting can be done on any budget, and does not require you or anyone else to participate in competitive registries to collect coins.   That said, for those who wish to participate in a competitive registry and want a highly ranked set, many (most) of the registry sets likely will require a significant financial cost.   However, there are some registry participants that have put together some very high raking sets for very minimal costs and are enjoying the registry without taking out a second mortgage.   It is not always just about money.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 11/18/2022 at 6:59 AM, Moxie15 said:

@CoinbufForget it. Just forget it. I shant come here again 

I'm not asking or wishing you to leave, nor am I expecting you to not have your own opinion.   I'm just asking you to not trash another member by making assumptions about what motivates their collecting decisions on what to buy.      It is just this type of bashing others from only assumptions that is contributing to making this place so toxic, I have been guilty of this and am trying to make an active effort to not do so going forward.   That is why I asked if your comment was an opinion that was biased on actually seeing the previous coin, I did not want to make an assumption as to if you had or not.

If you are unhappy and concerned about the direction of the hobby or how numbers and labels are (in your opinion) ruining it, then please start a thread yourself and begin a discussion on the subject.   I have no doubt that there are members who feel the same way as you and it could make for a good thread.    Forum members having a good discussion about the hobby is good for the community.