• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this coin worth resubmitting for a regrade?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2022 at 7:57 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What's the change from ?

Nickels with the FS designation will almost always sell at a higher price than a non FS coin, this gap gets bigger as the grade elevates.   Some of this price disparity is driven by registry points, FS coins very often gat a huge bump in points.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:23 AM, MarkFeld said:

Presumably, from non full steps to full steps. But to me, it doesn’t look anywhere close to full steps.

NO, I meant $1,000 change from what to what.  Not familiar with pricing for this coin at all.

To the OP:  In the wake of the deafening silence erupting from some quarters----Ricky called it right, but he's only a 🐓----I am delighted things worked out for you. I never for one minute (okay, 37 seconds) believed you made the wrong call in deciding to resubmit, but like "Jeopardy James," you went all-in and were amply rewarded for your assessment and "investment." (And you kept your word!  (thumbsu)  Good for you!  ^^   :golfclap:  (worship)

[Side note:  Any way you look at it, the NGC turn-around on this high-stakes highly-graded resubmission for attribution consideration, was very good by any measure, post-crest pandemic: within thirty (30) days, from the date the OP posted his topic question, resubmitted his coin, to receiving it back in the mail, safe and sound!]     (thumbsu

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Edit timeline

On 10/11/2022 at 4:17 PM, MatthewDM11 said:

As promised, here is my update: https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6484899-001/67/

I saw it was in quality control/finalizing status this morning and have been checking every couple minutes since. Just got the good news a couple minutes ago. Obviously I am extremely happy the regrade went the way I believed it should. Even though this coin now correctly having the “5FS” designation assigned to it greatly increases it’s value, I am not going to sell it. It truly is a beautiful coin and it will be passed along to my future children.

37651268-AC80-44B9-A928-B21A123C4D94.jpeg

Major congratulations! That is one sweet nickel! I still think it is * material!

On 10/12/2022 at 9:29 PM, FlyingAl said:

Can we all, just for a second, appreciate that we have an OP that actually took the time to resubmit and share the results?

I know that the results were positive, but the fact that he actually resubmitted and was right is to be commended. 

I gave Quintus Arrius my word, so I didn’t have a choice!

To be fair, it would have been much harder to give an update if the regrade didn’t go my way. From the moment I saw this coin in hand at auction I was enamored so I was very happy for it to receive the designation I felt it deserved. Super happy for it to be a permanent part of my collection. 

On 10/13/2022 at 12:29 AM, FlyingAl said:

....I know that the results were positive, but the fact that he actually resubmitted and was right is to be commended. 

I agree. The OP had, to borrow a phrase from former VP Agnew (1970) "more than [his] fair share of the nattering nabobs of negativism."  So much so, I feel he was very brave to even suggest resubmission in the face of an unrelenting onslaught from more experienced hands including at least one grader. Inconclusive photos [to viewers] notwithstanding, all agree the OP was in the best position to view his coin, in hand, literally with the best source of light. [Truth be told, I would have blinked and questioned whether my own "lying eyes," would prevail over the judgment of others.] In no wise, if my request for attribution had been denied, would I have been able to summon the courage to face those I could expect would pepper me with stinging, I told you so's!  This was a remarkable feat both in resubmitting and sharing.  Again, well done, @MatthewDM11!  Very well done!!!