• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Book addition to my library

7 posts in this topic

Sue Tungate's book is an excellent source for actual practices at the Soho Mint both equipment and operations. Boulton was at the leading edge of coining technology and automation - although a look at his steam powered press will make readers wonder if he didn't carry some ideas a little too far. (Franklin Peale saw these in operation during his European mission and though them excessively complex.) Boulton's use of Droz' split collar for putting raised lettering on the edge of coins was far ahead of even the 1885 experiments of A. L. Snowden.

On 9/9/2022 at 6:18 PM, Zebo said:

So many books, so little time.

I’m in the middle of reading Roger’s book, From Mine to Mint, and came across an interesting book that follows somewhat the same topic. Just in case someone is interested. Not as an alternative to Roger’s book, it is excellent, but as an addition to it, from across the pond.

Matthew Boulton (1728-1809) was a globally important industrialist who introduced innovative minting practices at his Soho Mint. This book describes the processes involved, from mining the copper to the delivery of products to the customer.

There was a shortage of small change towards the end of the 18th century, and Boulton strove to solve this problem, eventually obtaining customers all over Britain, including the British Government. He also made coins for the East India Company, and for Europe, Africa, the West Indies and America.

Included is Boulton’s role in the copper industry, and how he obtained his raw materials; his expertise in steel making for dies, and the technology of his new steam-powered mint. The design, production, marketing and distribution of the finished product is also covered. The book is illustrated with over 200 colour images, including an extensive section on the coins, tokens and medals produced at the Soho Mint.

Matthew Boulton is a very interesting personality, and I'm great that I decided to get this book. I'm sure I'll like it, but I honestly have no idea when I'll find time to read it. I have a lot of tasks to do and educational books to read, and it takes a lot of time. I've started using the help of https://papersowl.com/do-my-assignment, where I can find amazing writers to do my assignment, and it saves me some time. But still, I barely have time for something except education, but the book won't go anywhere.

2CA041D6-BFF7-4347-B112-8153ABA84DE7.jpeg

Great addition to the library. This book is amazing

Edited by CarltonWilmot

On 9/9/2022 at 10:22 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Hmm, and I always thought @coinsandmedals was male.  Interesting!

Your assumption was correct. I wish I had time to write for leisure. 

Sue's book is an excellent introduction to the topic, but it only scratches the surface compared to her dissertation. 

On 10/7/2022 at 12:11 AM, coinsandmedals said:

Your assumption was correct. I wish I had time to write for leisure. 

Sue's book is an excellent introduction to the topic, but it only scratches the surface compared to her dissertation. 

One of the best things about traveling regularly to a country or three whose coins I collect is the opportunity to browse book stores for lesser known works in numismatics of that country. There’s a hidden away used book store in the King’s Cross neighborhood of London that is a gem.