• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade of Morgan
1 1

7 posts in this topic

The 1879-CC Morgan in an XF grade is one of the more pricy ones where I have been considering dropping down to VF and came across the attached one. It appears to have VF-XF detail using modern market grading, but then again there are a lot of contact marks and dings, particularly on the obv like around the neck, the rim and date which prolly drops it down to a VF.  But I'm not sure if that would drop it down below a VF.  Any thoughts on grade?

1879-CC Morgan Dollar Clear VF.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Yea, I was gonna say VF-25.  Has a little more detail than the attached 25 from CoinFacts, but more contact marks.  And at least to me the variety seems to be almost spot on with the Clear CC variety attached.  Would be good to get some other opinions on that since it's a raw coin.

1879-CC Morgan Dollar Clear VF25 PCGS CoinFacts.jpg

I agree that the grade is in the lower (20-25) part of the VF range, with nicks that might or might not preclude straight grading at a grading service.  The mint mark looks a little odd. The first "C" looks rounder than that used this year and appears closer to the "D" in "DOLLAR" than any shown on the VAMWORLD site.  (Compare with reverses shown for VAMs 1 and 7, the closest matches.)  Due to the incentive to add mint marks to these, you might want to buy this date certified.

On 9/3/2022 at 7:22 PM, Sandon said:

The mint mark looks a little odd. The first "C" looks rounder than that used this year and appears closer to the "D" in "DOLLAR" than any shown on the VAMWORLD site.  (Compare with reverses shown for VAMs 1 and 7, the closest matches.)  Due to the incentive to add mint marks to these, you might want to buy this date certified.

I didn't look closely at the VAM-7 as its missing the die chips/lines for that and the CC doesn't appear to be aligned the same.  I did closely compare the mint mark and date vs the VAM-1 as well as the VF-25 coin posted from PCGS CoinFacts which appears to be the same variety, by enlarging/rotating and overlaying them so I could switch back and forth to compare them.

The "Closed 9" for the VAM-1 paired obv die is a match, and the CC mark appears to be a fairly close match considering the listed one looks like it took a hit to the D which may have flattened out the top somewhat, which is slightly thicker vs the comparisons and which may have also pushed the top of the D a bit closer to the CC compared to the VAM-1.  At least that's what it looks like overlaying the pics enlarged. The listed one also has a little more wear there too and the pic isn't as sharp as the comparisons.

I can't tell if there is a slight doubling at the top of the Phrygian Cap just above the cotton leaves on the obv as in a VAM-1 paired obv die, but overlaying it with the PCGS one seems to match.  Due to the limitations of the pics, I may not know if its legit for sure unless I get it in hand to look at it very closely, and just return it if the coin in-hand doesn't exactly match. But any added feedback on what I am seeing is greatly appreciated as I need to be very careful with this one.

On 9/3/2022 at 7:27 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I don’t know what you were planning on paying for this but I just purchased an 1883 CC Morgan PCGS graded MS63 for just over three hundred. I don’t think I would ever buy a raw CC. Too many counterfeits out there. Be careful.

The 1879-CC Morgans are considerably rarer and more expensive than the 1883-CC Morgans, which I already have for around that price from GC.  An 1879-CC graded VF-20 is valued by NGC at $625, and on GC an 1879-CC VF-20 to VF-25 has been going for around the high $500's to low $600 range recently. Due to the cost, I have been doing a lot of shopping around and also looking at raw options if I might be able to get a decent one for under $500.  But this may be one of the Morgans where I go with a slabbed one due to the higher value and considering they are faked sometimes.

Edited by EagleRJO