• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever scene this type of error when coin collecting

11 posts in this topic

1959173257_Screenshot_20220903-0517274.jpg.b10db77a7d2d343273b04b103a269760.jpganyone know what type of error I have here? Been a year and I haven't scene any coin with this type of error from Denver mint or etc...it's like they used a 2020 diecast first to punch the inside circle on reverse side ,then punch with the 2021 die..all words and date is like the all the way around back to the date..ddr also of center, help please ,let me know even if u have no idea the type of error on the picture..thankyou1866730118_Screenshot_20220903-0517272.jpg.666abbaf808a0fe2f8f2e34b92d5e508.jpg1777244314_Screenshot_20220903-0517273.jpg.6a85e566c8b8c456c7a6ca486dfc4fb7.jpg

Jeremy Agens--Respectfully, you don't have to place similar posts about the same coin in every forum on the chat board.  Most of the members seem to check them all out!  For those who are seeing this for the first time, my answer to the similar post on the U.S./World Coins forum follows:

It would be helpful if you could provide photos of both sides of the entire coin and a clearer photo of the close up to get a better idea of your possible mint error. From what I can see, your 2021 Tuskegee Airmen quarter most likely has a "die break" through the date area.  Die breaks occur when coinage dies crack after becoming stressed from use, causing metal on the planchet (coin blank) to be pushed into the crack as the coin is struck, leaving a raised line.  Another possibility is "clash marks" that result from the coinage press operating without a planchet in the press, causing the dies to strike against each other and parts of the design from one die to be transferred (reversed and incuse) to the other. (The curving line could be from the top of Washington's head on the other side, but there would likely be other areas of design transfer.) 

Both die breaks and clash marks are rather common occurrences in the minting process, and coins featuring either or both of them are usually worth only a small premium.  There are other possibilities, such as your coin having resulted from multiple strikes, but, again, I would need better photos to offer any opinion on this.

On 9/3/2022 at 6:47 PM, Sandon said:

Die breaks occur when coinage dies crack after becoming stressed from use, causing metal on the planchet (coin blank) to be pushed into the crack as the coin is struck, leaving a raised line.  Another possibility is "clash marks" that result from the coinage press operating without a planchet in the press, causing the dies to strike against each other and parts of the design from one die to be transferred (reversed and incuse) to the other.

Why would the press strike and create clash marks without the planchet inserted ?  You would think if there wasn't a blank that the process would stop, no ?

Applause for a great explanation of die breaks and clash marks, Sandon. (thumbsu

On 9/3/2022 at 7:39 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

The English language is dead. Long live progress. 

No. English is presently as close to a universal language as humans have come.

Language evolves, but all languages have rules that improve comprehension such as the one mentioned.

On 9/4/2022 at 9:19 AM, RWB said:

No. English is presently as close to a universal language as humans have come.

Language evolves, but all languages have rules that improve comprehension such as the one mentioned.

Thank you for the explanation. I thought when the kid sitting next to me said his chicken nuggets were "bus", that the ability to learn and comprehend had come to a complete halt in our species, but instead, that kid has evolved. Know how long evolution takes? Not 15 years. Our species is doomed. A cosmic joke. We've been floating through space utterly alone trying to make sense of it all for millennia, and it's come down to calling chicken nuggets "bus". Yeah, I'm good, thanks. 

On 9/3/2022 at 6:47 PM, Sandon said:

Both die breaks and clash marks are rather common occurrences in the minting process, and coins featuring either or both of them are usually worth only a small premium.  There are other possibilities, such as your coin having resulted from multiple strikes, but, again, I would need better photos to offer any opinion on this.

Could also be post-mint damage from a coin wrapping machine to the coin on the roll end as the machine spins the roll closed, which may be more likely from what I am seeing.  See the discussion linked and the attached example damage.

How Coins are Damaged by Rolling, Wrapping, and Crimping Machines (coincommunity.com)

Coin Errors - Coin Wrapping Machine Damage.jpg