• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your favorite proof die crack..
1 1

8 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2022 at 3:34 PM, Errorists said:

I'm panicking again.. Can't find as many anymore. 

I can't believe you honored the Forum with a surprise appearance!  I'd've thought I'd've had a better shot at having the clerk at the U.S. Supreme Court move my case up a couple of notches on the Miscellaneous docket. Enjoy the holiday weekend!   🐓 

On 9/1/2022 at 3:50 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I can't believe you honored the Forum with a surprise appearance!  I'd've thought I'd've had a better shot at having the clerk at the U.S. Supreme Court move my case up a couple of notches on the Miscellaneous docket. Enjoy the holiday weekend!   🐓 

My pleasure 😊 

I've never found die cracks or breaks on modern U.S. proof coins, but I do have a proof 1894 Liberty nickel with reverse die cracks through and above the letters TATES OF AM.  The reported mintage for this issue in proof was all of 2,632 pieces.  Assuming that the mint dedicated a specific die pair to coining these proofs, it's interesting that such extensive cracks formed during this limited use.

1894 Liberty Nickel Proof rev..jpg

On 9/1/2022 at 10:05 PM, Sandon said:

I've never found die cracks or breaks on modern U.S. proof coins, but I do have a proof 1894 Liberty nickel with reverse die cracks through and above the letters TATES OF AM.  The reported mintage for this issue in proof was all of 2,632 pieces.  Assuming that the mint dedicated a specific die pair to coining these proofs, it's interesting that such extensive cracks formed during this limited use.

Remember that Cu/Ni was a harder metal than anything used then, and proofs got at least two strikes every time. It was planchet vs. die in a steel cage death match and eventually the die lost every time. 

On 9/1/2022 at 11:05 PM, Sandon said:

I like that because they are more rare. :)

Nice denticles, all things considered...

This die crack phenomenon, I believe, is unheard of in Europe. Minor defects in the minting process are not spoken of in polite company.  Who would dare say the Royal Mint made a mistake? Somewhere overseas a bunch of coin enthusiasts, speaking soto voce, are wildly gesticulating toward America:  They (coin error aficionados) are all meshuganas!   🤔