• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting token from the 1790s
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2022 at 10:29 PM, zadok said:

...not sure bout the apples but def applies today...cool political token u should have bought it....

I wish I did now -  63 DPL.

On 8/31/2022 at 8:18 AM, Zebo said:

I wish I did now -  63 DPL.

DiPLomatic plates? Darn tootin'!!  You can drive anywhere in New York with those. The average city parking ticket is $115.  You sill come out ahead.  :roflmao:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Add-on comment.

You only show one side so I don't know exactly which token it is, but it is from the county of Norfolk England.  It is either D&H 23 or 24,  Dies were by Thomas Wyon of Birmingham, and they were struck by Peter Kempson also of Birmingham.  They were produced for a Merchant named Dinmore, and they struck 51,500 pieces of the two varieties combined.  Both are considered common so assume a roughly even distribution or about 26,000 of each die pair variety, but each comes with more than one edge variety.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:04 AM, Conder101 said:

You only show one side so I don't know exactly which token it is, but it is from the county of Norfolk England.  It is either D&H 23 or 24,  Dies were by Thomas Wyon of Birmingham, and they were struck by Peter Kempson also of Birmingham.  They were produced for a Merchant named Dinmore, and they struck 51,500 pieces of the two varieties combined.  Both are considered common so assume a roughly even distribution or about 26,000 of each die pair variety, but each comes with more than one edge variety.

Ugh - I must have deleted the reverse

On 9/28/2022 at 5:04 AM, Conder101 said:

It was attributed as D&H 24C. It sold for $480 at Stacks in August and is now listed on eBay for $809.95. 

On 9/28/2022 at 6:04 AM, Conder101 said:

....they struck 51,500 pieces....  Both are considered common ....

This is an interesting tidbit.  Consider the 1909-S-VDB Lincoln Head is considered rare with a mintage of 484,000. For many, many years, its value remained stagnant. It turned out that quite a few pieces, in [then] "Uncirculated" condition, were set aside as novelties by collector and non-collector alike. It was the first year of what has turned out to be a 113-year old series, and counting. Scarcity is but one factor to consider in determining a token's or coin's worth.  A good example of the vagaries of value and mintage in fickle markets.