• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do y’all think of of internet or live bid proxy’s??

12 posts in this topic

I was wondering what y’all thought of putting proxies on bids? Do you think proxies can be manipulated? Do you trust internet or even live bidding proxies? Me and my paranoid mind I have issues with trust…lol. I bid on a coin and my proxy won the auction, but another coin almost like mine went for less. Dum, da da da, dumb, right? 

What is your concern with proxy or automatic incremental maximum bidding? That another very similar coin went for less?  I think that's going to happen even with exactly the same coin.  If you get a coin for the price you wanted and you are happy with great, but it sounds like you are just second guessing yourself from seeing a similar coin go for a little less.

Although I have been doing more bidding for coins I am interested in, particularly at Great Collections, I "trust" online bidding as far as I can throw it until I actually get the coin in hand to closely look at it.  Bottom line is if I get a coin I expected and then like when in hand for what I wanted to pay.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:33 PM, EagleRJO said:

What is your concern with proxy or automatic incremental maximum bidding?

I like the price I paid, and the coin, but I was wondering how reliable and trust worthy internet bidding can be knowing that everything can be hacked? I don't think the auction house is evil, but someone in their community could look and/or hack the prices and manipulate the bidding. I guess I am wondering how much people trust technology. BTW, I am not a hacker. I barely know enough to join a chat community...lol. 

So another question is, should I skip proxies and bid during the live event? 

Edited by Diamondslayer
misspelling

I'm still not seeing an issue if you get a coin you are happy with at or lower than far market valuation which are based on a mix of auction and sale prices.

Are you aware of any data that may point to significant increases in bid prices for online vs live bidding which might suggest widespread online hacking to artifically raise prices? I'm not seeing that for some of the coins I have been bidding on lately, and maybe even higher live bid prices possibly from higher buyer premiums.

On 8/27/2022 at 1:11 PM, Diamondslayer said:

I like the price I paid, and the coin, but I was wondering how reliable and trust worthy internet bidding can be knowing that everything can be hacked? I don't think the auction house is evil, but someone in their community could look and/or hack the prices and manipulate the bidding. I guess I am wondering how much people trust technology. BTW, I am not a hacker. I barely know enough to join a chat community...lol. 

So another question is, should I skip proxies and bid during the live event? 

Wow, paranoid much? I only buy in person, frequently at auction. I’m not so much in a hurry that I need to go beyond my comfort level. 

On 8/27/2022 at 9:13 PM, Coinbuf said:

Thicker tin foil is the answer.  ;)

Lol!! But you know that on EBay you can have multiple accounts and push your own items bid price up. That is only one reason you get second chance emails. That is why I “buy now”. 

I'm not worried about someone hacking a coin auction site.  I can't imagine anyone would care to do that.  If anything is going to happen which I consider unethical, it would be the auction house awarding the winning bid at the winning bidder's maximum (or near it) instead of one increment above the runner up.

I only buy occasionally now due to my interests, but now or previously, if I really want a coin, I make sure to try to bid during the auction. Nothing above nominal prices on eBay for a long time.

Otherwise, I just place my maximum bid in advance and wait to see the result. If I was buying the coins most collectors do, that's what I would every time.  It's not like another one won't become available, soon or very soon.

I think that proxies are very convenient, and I believe that their use when connecting to the Internet is mandatory for each of us. Since I am engaged in marketing, I use private proxies for ad verification and noticed that in this way, I could not only do my job with maximum quality but also preserve my privacy. So I think that no matter how you use a proxy server, it's always a good idea if you do it competently. You should understand that you should not provide your data to sites on the network.

Edited by klauswoolhouse

On 8/28/2022 at 6:59 AM, Diamondslayer said:

But you know that on EBay you can have multiple accounts and push your own items bid price up.

True, but even then, they can't push a coin close to what people are willing to pay or they may end up the winner and lose money.  Just don't bid above what you are willing to pay, and beyond that move on to the next coin you are interested in.  And if that's still a concern, add more tin foil or just stick with GC. :insane:

On 8/27/2022 at 6:36 AM, Diamondslayer said:

I bid on a coin and my proxy won the auction, but another coin almost like mine went for less.

And why did you bid on the one you did and not on the one that ended up selling for less?  Probably because you liked the one you bid on better.  Well guess what you competitors liked it better to.  So there was less competition on the other coin and it sold for less.