• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I stay away ?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Here we have a very nice 1921 I really like . I try and stay away from problem coins . This one is different. I've never seen one like it . Doesn't have a graded or any negative comments . Can someone please guide me in a direction either way . 

s-l400 (2).jpg

Edited by Ohnoimbroke

I've seen coins from the west 57th St Collection labelled in different grades. Some have regular numerical grades, some just say something like "Genuine" and I think some may be Details.

The fact that this one does not have a numerical grade would give me pause. I have a couple of common Seated Halves from that collection with regular grades like this one, so I'm not sure why the inconsistency.

s-l1600.jpg

On 8/26/2022 at 6:23 PM, AdamWL said:

I've seen coins from the west 57th St Collection labelled in different grades. Some have regular numerical grades, some just say something like "Genuine" and I think some may be Details.

The fact that this one does not have a numerical grade would give me pause. I have a couple of common Seated Halves from that collection with regular grades like this one, so I'm not sure why the inconsistency.

s-l1600.jpg

Well NGC has it valued as a AG at $100

This coin seems to have VF or so details--even uncirculated 1921 Peace dollars are often weak in the centers--but it has a very unnatural looking surface, suggesting it has been harshly cleaned and/or buffed.  You shouldn't "like" it!  (On NGC certificate verification it is included with those graded "Poor" and valued at $100.)  AdamWL's Seated half dollar is a nice example of a circulated older silver coin with original surfaces.

You should always buy the best coin you can afford, especially if it is a coin that is widely available in a variety of grades such as a 1921 Peace dollar.  I sometimes knowingly buy impaired coins if I think the coin is still decent looking, the price is right, and an unimpaired specimen with a similar amount of detail would be too expensive or likely too hard to find.  September's Coin World lists 1921 Peace dollars at $155 in VF 20, $210 in EF 40. I don't know what the seller of this severely impaired one is asking, but if I were you, I'd save up for the best unimpaired (or at least less impaired) one I could afford.

Edited by Sandon