• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this coin grade, in your opinion or Details? 1921 Peace
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hopefully, they wouldn't "details" grade this coin just because of the one small rim ding, though it's possible. (Any attempt to remove the ding would almost certainly result in a "details" grade.) The coin also appears to have been lightly "cleaned", though it may be just how it looks in the photos.  Unless you need it for a registry set slot, I'm not sure why you want to have it third party graded, as it would likely grade in the EF to low AU range.  Coin World lists the 1921 Peace dollar at $210 in EF 40, $250 in AU 50, with the NGC Price Guide somewhat higher at $300-$350 in these respective grades.  You should ask yourself whether it would be worth the grading and processing fees and shipping and insurance costs.  It can be enjoyed and protected in a nice hard plastic holder.

I'm facing a similar dilemma with my own 1921 Peace dollar, which is uncirculated but has a light scrape in the field in front of Liberty's face.  I may send it in to fill a few registry set slots, but it's probably not worthwhile from a financial standpoint.

Whatever your decision, good luck!

Going by the image, I don't think it should straight grade.  This is apart from the rim damage would I agree should disqualify it.  Whether it would or not is another consideration.

Given how common 1921 Peace dollars are, I'd think one looking like this wouldn't be "market acceptable".  But this opinion might because I'm not used to seeing circulated examples.

If it were a coin in my series, I'd guess 50-50 even though anything I collect is hundreds of times scarcer.