• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgans I got over 20 years ago and forgot about.
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I got a sorta interesting story behind these Morgans. When I was in the Army I was stationed in Kitzigen, GE for my first duty station back in 99. My wife accompanied me, and she took a position at a bank on base in Wurzburg. One day a German national whose father was an American brought in a box of Morgans and Walking Liberty's. My wife bought all she could with the money she had on hand and was going to get more money from the ATM before her lead teller took the box and exchanged the rest for herself at face value. I had forgotten about these coins until recently. I was shocked that someone would just exchange these coins at face value. Anyhow, we ended up with a 1882o, 1890cc, and 1902o. I've never graded coins before. What would y'alls recommendation be? Thank you. 

20220822_001643.jpg

20220822_001655.jpg

20220822_001704.jpg

20220822_001714.jpg

20220822_001723.jpg

20220822_001731.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks to me like they are either very worn and cleaned (1890-CC F/VG) or very common date/mark with some scratches/cleaned (1902-O & 1882-O).  Are you thinking about keeping them to collect or just sell them?

If you are trying to sell them you can bring them to a local coin shop to see what they will give you, but it's probably going to be close to the melt value of silver, or maybe just a little above that for the 1890-CC if you are lucky.  Get a few more opinions before deciding.

On 8/22/2022 at 3:18 AM, EagleRJO said:

Unfortunately, it looks to me like they are either very worn and cleaned (1890-CC F/VG) or very common date/mark with some scratches/cleaned (1902-O & 1882-O).  Are you thinking about keeping them to collect or just sell them?

If you are trying to sell them you can bring them to a local coin shop to see what they will give you, but it's probably going to be close to the melt value of silver, or maybe just a little above that for the 1890-CC if you are lucky.  Get a few more opinions before deciding.

My plan is to keep them. They hold too much sentimental value. My wife and I have had them almost as long as we've been married. I was just debating whether or not it would be worth it to grade them. I'll probably just get some holders for them and pass them on to my son when the time is right. I appreciate the input. 

On 8/22/2022 at 5:31 AM, Jim Buckley said:

I was just debating whether or not it would be worth it to grade them. I'll probably just get some holders for them and pass them on to my son when the time is right.

It's not worth it to have those graded due to the cost. Sounds like a plan to just slab them yourself.  Most of the coins I get are raw and I just slab them myself (like the attached),  which I have posted about a few times.

If you are interested in collecting there have been a number of threads started by new members that include a lot of good tips if you search around, and there was a good post recently by one of the vets about resources for newer collectors here ...

1380657354_DanCarr1964-DMorganDollarToken-Slab-Small.jpg.e776532022636b104e61647c59e838be.jpg

For holders, there are some good options. You could staple them into cardboard flips (dealer would probably just do it for you for free), put them in flexible clear plastic saflips (same), or buy rigid, round, clear plastic holders for them called airtites (dealer would charge but they're cheap). All those are real easy and happen with one quick trip to a dealer.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:36 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Pleas note that the "coin" @EagleRJO showing above is not genuine.  This is a fantasy coin made by a guy names Dan Carr.  I didn't want this coin to confuse you.

Actually, the coin I posted is both "genuine" and a "fantasy coin".  What Neophyte was trying to convey is that the coin I posted was not struck/issued by the US Mint.  It is a completely make up coin struck by the Moonlight Mint representing what Dan Carr at that mint imagines a 1964 Morgan would look like if it was in fact produced that year.  Probably not a good example of a holdered coin for a newer collector, but I just grabbed whatever I had on my phone to post, and my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be.

You mentioned a "holder" for your coins which I just associate with the type of rigid plastic slab I posted and grading companies use.  However, they are actually called a "slab style coin holder" (attached example of what I have used for Morgans, as well as for the fantasy coin posted before), with there being many types of "holders" as JKK noted which include other options for storing your coins.

There are "flips" that can be either the stapled cardboard type or flips that are the mylar pocket type (example attached) popular with dealers, as well as many collectors, as they are easier to use and take up a lot less space.  There are the clear plastic capsules or "air-tites", which is what the US Mint uses for special coins, and also book-style coin albums with holes for your coins.  Lots of options, which you don't necessarily need to go to a dealer to have done for you, but having a dealer do that for you may be a quick economical option for just a few coins.

Coin Holder - Slab Style Defender Large Dollar.jpg

Coin Holder - Mylar Flip.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/22/2022 at 6:19 AM, EagleRJO said:

If you are interested in collecting there have been a number of threads started by new members that include a lot of good tips if you search around, and there was a good post recently by one of the vets about resources for newer collectors here ...

However, they forget to mention as a newer collector you will also need one of these babies called "Slab Crackers" to get those pesky TPG slab coffins open to save you coins from an acetone embalmed fate of never being in a collectors' hand ever again until the ending of time, or till the holder falls apart whichever comes first. :whistle:

[totally kidding, except for the tool name/use :insane:]

Coin Supplies - Slab Crackers - Wizzard.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO