• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 quarter question from newbie

5 posts in this topic

Good morning all,

Recently started getting into collecting coins, mainly searching through change or rolls for silver. As well as buying the occasional thing from yard sales, flea markets ect. 
I was hoping some one could help me with this quarter. Are these errors on this coin or is it just beat from circulation. “In god we trust” as well as “e pluribus unum” seem off, there are also no “ridges” around the coin. 
thanks for any help you can provide, I apologize if I got any terminology wrong. 

C1AF2F79-E0B4-4637-88EA-EC9316F7525E.jpeg

0DEFF390-252B-43B7-98D6-C6F518C1C4E2.jpeg

This coin is simply one that has done a lot of work in circulation.  I do not see any errors, but displaced metal.  Also it is very common that the reeds (ridges) get crushed or worn off the edge.  Others will likely also chime in.

FYI - if you ever find a 1982 quarter in very high grade, you should save it (this will be very difficult from circulation).  There were no mint sets issued in 1982, and this is a tough one to find "nice".

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's also coined from very worn dies that imparted a blurry look to the lettering before it even entered circulation. The new obverse hub created in 1977 had become quite worn itself by 1982 and was replaced with a much sharper one for 1983's production.

On 8/19/2022 at 11:27 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

FYI - if you ever find a 1982 quarter in very high grade, you should save it (this will be very difficult from circulation).  There were no mint sets issued in 1982, and this is a tough one to find "nice".

Very unlikely to find a high grade one from circulation unless someone dumps a long saved one.  It's an easy enough coin to buy in a TPG holder up to MS-66.  eBay has multiples every time I have looked and the combined TPG counts in this grade are in the vicinity of 400.