• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade of 50C Capped Bust 50/20?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

What do you guys think of the grade on this one?  I am thinking VF-20 or VF-25.  It does appear to have a legit 5/2 die mark on the rev too.

1807 Capped Bust 50-20 Half Dollar.jpg

1807 Capped Bust 50-20 Half Dollar - Correct 50C.jpg

Yes, this is the 1807 large stars, 50 over 20 variety, the most common 1807 Capped Bust half dollar variety. I hope you realize that this coin has been severely "cleaned" and appears to have solder or other foreign matter adhering to it, especially on the reverse.  Because the 1807-08 coins are of a different style than the later ones and because they were often weakly struck in the centers to begin with, they can be difficult to grade.  I'd say this one has no better than Fine details.  

I guessed VF and then went to CoinFacts and looked at F & VF grades.  Seems like a lot more detail on the devices than an F (attached).  Are you guys down grading for cleaned which I do see?  Also, I think you really would have to see this one in hand to really judge because of all the marks on the beat-up plastic holder it is in, which isn't that apparent from the pics I cropped.

1807 Capped Bust 50-20 Half Dollar - PCGS F-10.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

The ANA grading guide, regarding the obverses of these coins says that to grade F 12 says "more than half the details show in hair, drapery and cap" and "parts of ear and clasp are visible."  For the reverse to grade F 12 "[n]early half the feathers are visible in the wings". For the VF 20 obverse "[d]rapery and lower curls are worn but bold.  Ear, clasp and curls are worn but all plainly visible."  Neither of the illustrated coins strictly meets all of the requirements for F 12 and certainly not for VF 20.  The "Notes" in the grading guide for this series state that "[c]oins of this design are often weakly struck, particularly . . . in the clasp and hair."  It's hard to tell the difference between wear and striking weakness on well circulated coins.

This is why grading is so subjective, especially for coins made with older technology.  From the standpoint of a prospective purchaser, it's wise to be conservative.  The grading services often take perceived striking weakness into consideration.  The coin whose photo you obtained from Coinfacts is a good example of a piece with original surfaces, unlike the abused coin in your first photo, but I wouldn't pay VF money for it either.  Better struck pieces exist. Be choosy!

Thanks Sandon. I pulled out the ANA Guide and I agree according to that it does look like F-12.  I am really surprised at the certified examples that were significantly more worn in general but still graded F-12. Is that perhaps market grading kicking in, maybe with a more recent leniency towards older weaker struck coins?

JP I think it was listed close to $400 which is overpriced for a cleaned common date older half with a good amount of wear that I think would prolly be round $375 for a Fine or Fine+ that wasn't cleaned per RB and CW. I'll see what it goes for.

Edited by EagleRJO