• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan silver dollar scratch
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could help me with what ngc calls a scratch and what they don't. I am sending in a 1883 cc and above the eagle in the field there is a light scratch. I was wondering if they will give it a details grade or grade it straight?  

On 8/3/2022 at 12:45 PM, Trevor Tobine said:

I was wondering if anyone could help me with what ngc calls a scratch and what they don't. I am sending in a 1883 cc and above the eagle in the field there is a light scratch. I was wondering if they will give it a details grade or grade it straight?  

Welcome to the forum, judging from your photo, whoops there is no photo.  :roflmao:  We cannot help you very much if we cannot see what you see.   Much older coins like bust halvs or early dollars will sometimes slide thru if the scratch is older and has retoned with the coin, just about any fresh scratch is going to stand out and receive a details grade.   If you post a photo the forum members will be better able to provide good feedback on your question.

I see a scratch between the wreath and the eagle's left facing wing as well as the scratch beneath "we trust".  (The various other blemishes I see are from bag storage and nearly always found on silver dollars.)  The grading services in my experience give some leeway for light, short scratches on large silver coins, but these, especially, the one under the eagle's wing, may be too long and too obvious for them to give the coin a numerical grade.  I'm not sure whether an 1883-CC dollar that would grade less than MS 65 would be worth the $40 grading fee and processing and shipping costs anyway.

I do not think they consider that a scratch.  i think the would look at that as bag marks.

There is a lot going on with the rev of this coin.   I looks like you have two scratches, both are light but do not look like circulation contact marks.   Then there is the area under "One Dollar" and between the rim, which seems to follow a circular pattern and from the photo does not look like bag marks.   I think it's more than likely this would be given a details grade.