• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book planning - Successor book to "From Mine to Mint"

23 posts in this topic

One of my current tasks is the successor book to From Mine to Mint. This continues the kind of process and mechanical approach to minting coins begun with the first volume. That is, the emphasis is on how equipment worked, how it was used, and the effects on coinage - including errors and defects. There is no deadline for the book -- maybe when it reaches 550 pages - like the first volume?

I am interested in hearing from forum members who have subjects of interest -- either specific questions or concepts. (Some here have already provided suggestions; no need to duplicate them.)

You can PM your comments to me at any time, and I will consider adding them to the current subject list.

Thanks!

PS: Please pass this to other collectors or re-post on other forums for those who might be interested.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

One thing that has long fascinated me is how and why the San Francisco Mint struck all of its 1937 quarters with broader obverse rims than on those struck at Denver and Philly. I've written about this phenomenon a number of times, this being the most recent occasion:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6667/

It would be great if you could turn up any internal correspondence or die books regarding this oddity. I've seen it also on 1949-S dimes. Both of these issues wore quite differently than their East Coast and Midwest counterparts.

Added to list. The Denver die book covering this period is missing. It is recorded as transferred to Denver NARA from Washington DC in the early 1990s, and it appears on a 1938 GAO inventory. It might still exist in some 2nd hand book shop or the collection of a numismatic thief. The cover of the missing volume looks like this (except for the light blue damage) and includes the "Form No. 864" identifier. It covers 1926 through at least 1938 for all denominations.

557792756_PagesfromDenverCoindies1910-1925.thumb.jpg.a763501292b643c762ebab3ba423782c.jpg

Edited by RWB

Would a chapter or picture-by-picture on gold arriving at the mint to how it is finally struck and then comes off the conveyor belt be something adding value ?

I know I feel like started watching in the middle of the movie by having to pick up terms like collars....planchet....metal press.....edge lettering....reeding....fields vs. devices....tonnage striking pressure vs. relief/details....etc.

Maybe some of this is basic beginner Coins 101, but I've basically had to learn it all on the fly.  Would be helpful to have a picture-by-picture with a short explanation.

Probably alone in that sentiment but thought I'd post it.:)

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 8/3/2022 at 8:37 PM, DWLange said:

That's Denver but what about SF?

Similar die books were kept for all mints. Those for other mints are "missing" with most not mentioned in inventories made in the late 1930s.

FMTM was not intended for a beginner audience, rather it was prepared to correct and fill knowledge gaps in how coins were made and handled based on mint regulations, procedures and equipment. This added information was then applied to some commonly seen coin defects.

About the same, 1830-1934, but maybe a little later. Unlike the Royal Mint, the US Mint had no long-tern technology plan, performed almost no documented internal research, and made operational changes only when anew director demanded it. Kimball and later Ross made the most important accounting and record keeping changes until the 1960s, but much of this has no relevance to coin manufacture.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:59 PM, RWB said:

One of my current tasks is the successor book to From Mine to Mint. This continues the kind of process and mechanical approach to minting coins begun with the first volume. That is, the emphasis is on how equipment worked, how it was used, and the effects on coinage - including errors and defects. There is no deadline for the book -- maybe when it reaches 550 pages - like the first volume?

I am interested in hearing from forum members who have subjects of interest -- either specific questions or concepts. (Some here have already provided suggestions; no need to duplicate them.)

You can PM your comments to me at any time, and I will consider adding them to the current subject list.

Thanks!

PS: Please pass this to other collectors or re-post on other forums for those who might be interested.
I could never finish the sequel to the book. Well, at least I just wouldn't have the imagination. At uni I applied to scholarship essay writers, I used https://paperell.net/scholarship-essay-writing-service for that. And I didn't worry about it at all. I can assume that if I had such a problem I would have solved it for exactly half a year. By the way, I have a close friend who really comes up with brilliant stories on the fly. So he can fool anyone. The type of something he is asked and he makes up something about himself instantly and everyone believes him. They say it was impossible to make it up so quickly.

I am shocked, what you are doing is very motivating for me.

Edited by kevinhamiltongsk

On 8/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, RWB said:

About the same, 1830-1934, but maybe a little later.

As for time frame, it has shifted from 1830s to the 1790s, and now includes information on die steel alloys, circulation of foreign coins, reason Mint remained in Philadelphia, along with some later materials for power production, equipment and processes - this includes the most complete description of the large screw press used to strike proof and pattern coins until 1894.

Finally settled on a title "More Mine to Mint" -- not very creative but fits with the first book title. Haven't picked a cover illustration.

On 11/15/2022 at 2:32 PM, RWB said:

Finally settled on a title "More Mine to Mint" -- not very creative but fits with the first book title. Haven't picked a cover illustration.

If you want something that will grab people....raw gold nuggets juxtaposed with a brilliant gold proof coin definitely hits the "mine" and "mint" parts of the title.

Good luck with the book, Roger.  I'm curious how much work it will take to revise it compared to the original.

On 11/15/2022 at 2:32 PM, RWB said:

As for time frame, it has shifted from 1830s to the 1790s, and now includes information on die steel alloys, circulation of foreign coins, reason Mint remained in Philadelphia, along with some later materials for power production, equipment and processes - this includes the most complete description of the large screw press used to strike proof and pattern coins until 1894.

I like the change in time and the inclusion of circulating foreign coins.

On 11/15/2022 at 3:00 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm curious how much work it will take to revise it compared to the original.

It has already taken more time than the original. FMTM covered a lot of the basic, extant material. MMTM has to work with fewer good original sources and articles in technical journals.

On 11/15/2022 at 3:14 PM, Zebo said:

I like the change in time and the inclusion of circulating foreign coins.

Some of this resulted from discovery of an 1826 nation-wide inquiry about foreign coins in domestic circulation, and the responses. Others come from collector questions such as " "How did coins get into circulation?" or "Why didn't the US Mint move to Washington in 1800 when all the other Federal Departments did?" or "What kind of steel was used for early dies and how was it made?"...and so forth.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, RWB said:

fewer good original sources and articles in technical journals.

Better you than me, brother. I wouldn’t have the stamina. 

Early mint technology is seldom presented in any form, and when it is, it is superficial and almost naive in its "gee whiz" language. Franklin Journal and a few mechanics' publications have only scattered reference to coining technology. Matthew Boulton's technology is the only "large" body of work, plus some tiny bits in German. Neither of these show up in American usage until well into the 19th century.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, RWB said:

Early mint technology is seldom presented in any form, and when it is, it is superficial and almost naive in its "gee whiz" language. Franklin Journal and a few mechanics' publications have only scattered reference to coining technology. Matthew Boulton's technology is the only "large" body of work, plus some tiny bits in German. Neither of these show up in American usage until well into the 19th century.

And the presses used today are STILL German. 

On 11/15/2022 at 5:30 PM, VKurtB said:

And the presses used today are STILL German. 

American coin presses were all US made until the mid-1960s. The first generation of toggle presses were built at the Philadelphia Mint.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:15 PM, RWB said:

American coin presses were all US made until the mid-1960s. The first generation of toggle presses were built at the Philadelphia Mint.

So “again” German?