• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help grading three 1934 One dollar coins

9 posts in this topic

Each of these coins is in the Very Fine 20 to Extremely Fine 40 range.  I can't be more specific without larger photos.  Each one also has a mint mark (the small letter below "O" of "ONE"), although I can't tell whether any one is a "D" or an "S".  The coin in the middle seems to have "hairlines" (thin shallow scratches) that indicate an abrasive "cleaning".  See my recommendation to try out "PCGS Photograde" in my reply to your inquiry regarding your 1891 Morgan dollar.

All are circulated and seem to range VF (F ?) to EF condition. Most of the value is in their silver content.

Edited by RWB

The distorted looking mintmark is an "S", which I've seen on this date.  The 1934-S is a date that is valuable in uncirculated grades and has little premium when well worn. It is worth a premium in higher circulated grades.  Coin World Coin Values for July 2022 shows retail values of $75 in VF20 and $125 in EF40. (NGC Price Guide has $110 and $190 in these grades, but this would be for certified coins.)  The reverse in your photograph under "[a]ll three have S mintmark" appears to have EF detail but also seems to have hairlines from a cleaning, which would reduce the value.

Why are so many of these that one finds so well circulated? Maybe early Peace settled in bags but later ones went to circulation? After all, there was a 1929-1933 no dollar hiatus.