• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Up With Crypto?
3 3

316 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2023 at 9:31 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I keep my money in money orders. I have yet to meet someone who has told me that's the most self-defeating concept they have ever heard.  They mention things like loss of buying power while engaging in gorging on their far superior conspicuous consumption sprees.

But then I think of the Hunt Brothers, Bernie Madoff, heavyweight fighters, drug kingpins doing LWOP, John Durst who never quite made it, some guy named Dupont--even Leona Helmsley.  Incidentally, How's that guy Murdaugh doing in South Carolina?

I have my U.S.P.S. money orders which boast no expiration date.  What have they, and millions of others got? I have yet to meet someone who can explain crypto currency in a literate penetrable semi-secret crypto-talk.  I am given to boasting my net worth is zero.  Nothing affects the quality of my life.  I do think about the disappearing Monarchs, the depletion of the world's oceans of fish by 90%, and melting of glaciers and both Poles.  But I am 72.  I'll let the whippersnappers attending the finest schools in the world, buried up to their eyeballs in student debt worry about meaningless things like what to have for lunch and who the next president of the United States ought to be. Luckily for me, I'm dead broke without a care in the world.  🤣

...the picture is much clearer now...all fits into place...

...post grid crash:

QA: how much is that loaf of bread?

Store Owner: $2.00...

QA: heres my money order...

Store Owner: heres ur 325 loaves of bread....

On 10/2/2023 at 5:32 PM, zadok said:

...the picture is much clearer now...all fits into place...

...post grid crash:

QA: how much is that loaf of bread?

Store Owner: $2.00...

QA: heres my money order...

Store Owner: heres ur 325 loaves of bread....

I inadvertently learned something from the USPS and my personal branch bank which may be of interest...

While it is true  they never expire, like your personal check, no one is obligated to honor it.  While it was not spelled out to me, it seems enough personal checks AND money orders have been used after their having been reported stolen, that no business or bank is obligated to accept it.  I deposited a pile of cash on a platform assistant's desk to be used for a wire transfer overseas, and she calmly handed it back to me and said I would have to deposit it [presumably in my checking account.]

Seven. years ago, I misplaced my rent check with everything filled out.  I took it to a local post office branch who, after a stepping away from the window, informed me the m.o., totally intact, would have to be traced -- the very instrument she was holding in her hand!  What could I say?  She fed the serial number, amount, date issued, etc., into her computer, asked me for my credit/debit card which I promptly handed her, and was issue a receipt for seventeen ($17.30) dollars and thirty cents as well as the money order which had been stamped eight times, front and back.

So, to be honest, there is a catch to my best laid plans.  I appreciate your keeping me in your thoughts!  🤣

Your take on crypto is interesting. It's true; the crypto market can be a rollercoaster. I'm somewhere in the middle – cautious but intrigued. There's potential, but the ride can be wild, so I use Oil Profit for extra safety. What about you? Pro, con, or just along for the ride? It's a fascinating topic to discuss!

Edited by TheevilShiny

Hey Henri Charriere, thanks for sharing your experiences with money orders and personal checks. It's essential to be aware of the intricacies when dealing with financial instruments like these. Your story highlights the importance of understanding the policies and practices of banks and businesses regarding such transactions.

If you're looking to navigate the world of finances and investments, especially in the cryptocurrency space, platforms like quantumaitrading.net can provide valuable insights and tools to help you make informed decisions. It's always good to keep learning and staying informed about financial matters.

Edited by Magalirist

The latest is Sam the one-time crypto mogul was convicted of seven counts of fraud and conspiracy and is facing 110 years in the clink.  

On 11/2/2023 at 8:08 PM, Henri Charriere said:

The latest is Sam the one-time crypto mogul was convicted of seven counts of fraud and conspiracy and is facing 110 years in the clink.  

Surprised they rendered a verdict on the 1st day and after "only" 4 hours.  Congrats to the jury....I was afraid something this complex might confuse 1 or 2 and result in a hung jury.  Personally, I probably would have needed 15 minutes to convict.

You can NOT steal from clients.  The mixing of customer funds with Alameda accounts (the hedge fund) is a huge no-no.(thumbsu

On 11/3/2023 at 3:00 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Surprised they rendered a verdict on the 1st day and after "only" 4 hours.  Congrats to the jury....I was afraid something this complex might confuse 1 or 2 and result in a hung jury.  Personally, I probably would have needed 15 minutes to convict.

You can NOT steal from clients.  The mixing of customer funds with Alameda accounts (the hedge fund) is a huge no-no.(thumbsu

From what I read of the proceedings, he basically convicted himself.  His comments (mostly texts) made the case for the prosecution.  I presume that's why the defense seemed so ineffective.  They didn't have anything to use as a defense.

When you have your closest associates testifying against you [primarily for their own gain] you're a dead man walking. Billions of dollars were squandered and he was unable to provide simple answers to basic questions. If he had not taken the stand, the jury, by law, could not hold that against him, but by taking the stand and squirming on just about everything asked of him, he only confirmed what the jury already suspected. As always, retained defense counsel came out smelling like a rose. They get paid no matter what. Now if Sam can provide a little something for the assets and forfeiture folks, he may be able to pare that likely substantial prison sentence down some.  I guess I don't understand crypto, and never will.

It's quite a complex situation, and legal proceedings involving cryptocurrencies can be particularly intricate. When it comes to cases like this, where billions of dollars are at stake and associates testify against someone, it adds another layer of complexity.
Understanding cryptocurrency can indeed be a challenge, and it's not uncommon to feel that way. The crypto world is constantly evolving, and it involves a mix of technology, finance, and legal aspects. If you ever decide to explore the crypto space further, you can check out Upcoming ICOs for insights into emerging projects and trends. It's a space with great potential, but it can also be overwhelming, so taking it step by step is a good approach.

Edited by Ivoxygale

Complexity occurs when every defendant chooses to exercise his right to remain silent from the time of arrest.

Personally, I started out skeptical, unsure about diving into something so volatile. But then I stumbled upon an article about how people can play baccarat with crypto, and it piqued my interest. I did some research, learned about blockchain technology, and realized the potential for innovation beyond just investment. So now, I'm cautiously optimistic about crypto. It's not without its risks, but there's also a lot of exciting potential for the future.

Edited by Whirlyn

On 3/28/2024 at 5:39 PM, Whirlyn said:

Personally, I started out skeptical, unsure about diving into something so volatile.

That amount of volatility PLUS the fact that Bitcoin is literally wasted electrons, makes me far more than skeptical. Bitcoin is being driven by FOMO, fear of missing out. I invest based on FOBS, fear of being stupid. Bitcoin has to be a huge punk job. “Watch this! I’m going to prove I can get people to spend horrendous sums on literally nothing.” Point conceded. People are stupid. QED. I have NEVER bought anything anywhere where paying in Bitcoin was even an option. Some currency!

Crypto is for young people who can afford to take some risk.  I am 72 and do what old folks do: talk about the weather and what ails me.  :preach:  :facepalm:

Well, Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies can seem like a bit of a wild ride, driven by hype and speculation. It's understandable to prefer investing based on a more calculated approach, like FOBS, rather than getting caught up in FOMO.While some see Bitcoin as a groundbreaking digital currency, others view it as a speculative bubble waiting to burst. It's all about perspective and what you're comfortable with.If you're still curious about crypto and want to learn more, you can always sign up for Binance and by using 바이낸스 가입 to explore the world of cryptocurrencies at your own pace.

Edited by Turandot