• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Guy Label Question
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

First my apologies if this is a topic elsewhere....

As a brand new shiny coin collector (okay, I have like 3 coins) I am curious about the labels in the coin slabs. I'm trying to collect the Australia Lunar $1 Silver set and notice that it seems like both the Perth Mint and Royal Australia Mint make coins. While a well informed collector knows the difference I wonder why labels can't identify the country and mint origin. It would have a line item like ASTL - Perth Mint or ASTL - Royal Australia Mint, or something like that.

Thank you,

Chris

On 6/10/2022 at 2:06 PM, Werewolves Revenge AG Immunity said:

While a well informed collector knows the difference I wonder why labels can't identify the country and mint origin. It would have a line item like ASTL - Perth Mint or ASTL - Royal Australia Mint, or something like that.

I thought that they did, most of the time? I haven't looked at these but normally NGC would label a coin such as you describe something like this, 2014 S1$, Australia, Lunar Series (Year of the Horse). If is was from the Perth Mint there should be a "P" mint mark on the coin and NGC would acknowledge this by putting a P at the end of the year, for example, 2014P.

Edit to add: If it doesn't have the Perth mint mark then I would have to assume that the coin was produced at the RAM, similar to some Philly produced U.S. coinage no mint mark. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

I'm not familiar with the Australian lunar coins, but if they are produced by both mints it may be possible that it isn't possible to tell the production of each mint apart.  As withthe ASE's sometimes some of the bullion coins will be produced by mints other than the West Point Mint and if they aren't sent to the TPG in the unopened monster box there is no way to tell which mint they came from.

On 6/10/2022 at 5:44 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I thought that they did, most of the time? I haven't looked at these but normally NGC would label a coin such as you describe something like this, 2014 S1$, Australia, Lunar Series (Year of the Horse). If is was from the Perth Mint there should be a "P" mint mark on the coin and NGC would acknowledge this by putting a P at the end of the year, for example, 2014P.

Edit to add: If it doesn't have the Perth mint mark then I would have to assume that the coin was produced at the RAM, similar to some Philly produced U.S. coinage no mint mark. 

Hi Fenntucky,

It seems like the earlier series from 1999-2010 did not show the P mint mark from Perth Mint, but the later coins/years DO show the mint mark. I still believe the easiest way for collectors is to put the country and mint origin on the label, like ASTL-Perth Mint or something like that, even if it is in a smaller font size.

[Psst, New Guy... Before you cut and run, that's a helluva moniker you got yourself there. Welcome to the Forum, where congeniality always reigns!]