• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1848 Zachary Taylor - Presidential campaign Medal - Scovill Manufacturing Company

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone has any information pertaining to this particular piece:

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1382598

Over the past twenty years or so I've been intermittently searching for information on this coin and have never seen one for sale.

Does anyone know how many were minted? Or perhaps the value?

The medal is listed in listed in American Political Badges and Medalets 1789-1892 by Edmund B. Sullivan. Published in 1959. 

No. ZT 1848-15 Obv. Inscription around, MAJ. GEN. ZACH: TAYLOR. enclosing civilian bust of Taylor to left. Rev. Inscription, FORT HARRISON/OKEE CHO BEE/PALO ALTO./RESACA DE LA PALMA/MONTEREY.?BUENA VISTA. 30 mm, found in silvered copper, silver, brass, and white metal. There are other varieties of this medal ZT 1848-13 & 16, have slightly different punctuation marks, and 14 has a blank reverse. There are also cross references to other catalogs published, Satterly #185 and Bushnell (Election Medalets) #52. Unfortunately there is no reference to quantity struck. 

I really appreciate you looking into this for me. I sent an e-mail over to Scovill Manufacturing Company to see if they have any information regarding it, however due to it being so old, the information was probably destroyed long ago. Just to confirm, are you saying that there are individually struck pieces that are of an entirely different metallurgical make up? Like one being entirely copper others being entirely silver, brass or white metal?

Yes. The ZT 1848-12 is 32mm and comes in white metal, silver, brass, and copper. The campaign medal is a reduction of the larger congressional medal awarded to Taylor. Both the congressional and campaign dies were cut by C.C. Wright. The original 1848 campaign medal is the one in white metal. The others are restrikes circa 1860. The ZT 1848-13 and 14 are 30mm and come in white metal only. The ZT 1848-15 is 30mm and comes in (silvered) copper, silver, brass, copper and white metal. The ZT 1848-16 is 30mm and comes only in brass. The reference book does not mention who the manufacturer was. Remember, the differences in the varieties are all punctuation marks either on the obverse or reverse. That means different dies. It is possible the varieties come from different companies.