• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 D UN Penny

9 posts in this topic

The pics are a bit fuzzy, but from what I see, I would not send this coin off for certification. The obverse alone looks to have several hits and dings and the coin most likely will not reach a grade worth the cost of submission. For me, the fingerprint took it out of the running right off the bat. Until proven otherwise the doubling would most likely be some form of die deterioration or mechanical doubling. Generally, coins need to be in exceptional condition to even be considered for grading/authentication. I would say continue your search for a better specimen. Good luck with your hunts. 

I agree with not worth the cost of grading.

I can see no sign of a DD and the condition is not near good enough. Basically what you would be doing is spending a bout $50.00 grading fees on a coin that is worth 1 cent.

So I have a bunch of these coins that say UN on them. Its hard to see the coin in the old aged film to take a picture from. So like this one i popped it out of the film to take a picture probably my fingerprint lol what would u recommend

On 5/14/2022 at 6:36 AM, Lisa8675309 said:

picture probably my fingerprint lol what would u recommend

Use a pair of cotton gloves.  if the plastic is the old mylar film type remove them and put them in some safe flips.  some of these old holders did more damage then good :(

It's a common cent. No value to a coin collector. Cents get a lot of abuse including letter stamps, state outline stamps, pipes and all sorts of garbage. None of them have any value -- none at all.

Edited by RWB

On 5/14/2022 at 10:41 AM, JT2 said:

if the plastic is the old mylar film type remove them and put them in some safe flips.

I 100% agree.  Just wanted to expand on JT2's excellent recommendation about safe flips (the brand name is actually spelled SAFLIP, just fyi, no offense JT, we know what you meant my friend 👍).  Wizard coin supply (an online webstore), deals exclusively with coin related products and sells these at very reasonable prices in my opinion considering the cost of EVERYTHING these days.....geeese. They are made of a material called Mylar and are 100% PVC, oil and Vinyl free.  These flips are the best way to store any type of coin in order to avoid harming them.  Hope this helps.  

IMG_5816.jpeg