• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mexico revolutionary coin guide?

3 posts in this topic

Is there a valuation, rarity, etc. guide for Mexico revolutionary coinage? I have an MS condition Mexico-Chihuahua 5 centavo that has been assigned a "GB 34" variety designation (it is currently going through conservation before final grading and slabbing), and I have no clue other than an image on the web of what that means. Turns out NGC does not use KM catalog numbers for these. ??

As far as I know, GB numbers are what's used to attribute Mexico Revolutionary coinage.  That includes counterfeits, including some very crude examples off of hand-made dies, that would not qualify for KM numbers, but are still heavily collected.

GB numbers are found in a 1976 reference book: Mexican Revolutionary Coinage, by Hugh S. Guthrie and Merrill Bothamley.

Edited by James at EarlyUS.com

The use of GB vs KM numbers seems to be about 50-50 in the sources I have found. The revolutionary coinage by definition was also counterfeit as well. Anyway, I will get the book, sounds like its the source of info I need. Thanks!