• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wells Fargo Hoard
1 1

92 posts in this topic

Re-reading some of the entries, that 1983 El Salvador Hoard awarded to Stack's and MTB has some kind of West Coast connection in all likelihood.  A large number of the coins are from the San Fran mint.   

David Akers comments:  "... they had large quantities of scarce, beautiful, original high quality Liberty Heads (1901-S, 1902-S, and 1905-S among others), and also a great many incredible quality Saints including such dates as 1909-S, 1910-S, 1911-S, 1914-S, 1915-S, and 1916-S...." 

There were other coins in the hoard, but that's alot of SanFran coins. :o

The Doug Winters website has a fascinating analysis of the Fairmont Hoard/Collection which I think might have some relevance to The Wells Fargo Hoard.

Specifically, Roger mentioned that grading submissions or something along those lines (I'll have to find the relevant post here or in his book, which I don't have access to now) indicated that the Wells Fargo Hoard might be as large as 150,000 coins.  I'm not sure what specifically provides that basis, but the methodology employed by the Guest Blogger at Winter's site might be somewhat applicable to analyzing other hoards.

Or maybe not. :)  But interested in hearing if any of you quants out there can see if maybe the TOTAL WF Hoard (as opposed to the coins CERTIFIED) might in fact be much larger. 

I never thought of the possibility of there being lots of smaller denomination gold coins and/or many raw lower-quality coins in the Hoard.  It already appears that while the 1908 No Motto Double Eagle Saint hoard was 19,900 coins...not all were certifiable-worthy so there could be other coins that comprised a much larger hoard that also didn't merit being graded.  Or maybe they were sneakily "snuck in" to the TPGs gradually over time so as not to disrupt the market.

The Winters Blogger looks for "bumps" in the PCGS population data to guestimate the impact from the Fairmont Hoard/Collection.  Really fascinating and brilliant analysis.....time-consuming too I would think....you would think in today's digital age you could have Excel or other tools just grab, crunch, and interpolate the data.

But maybe not. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969