• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Discussion regarding the cause of over polishing on 1936-1942 Proofs (Particularly 1936)
2 2

63 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2022 at 8:22 PM, FlyingAl said:

I would dissent - I think the sub note about the polishing telescopes may count towards a gnat's eyelash xD

Built one when I was a kid -- including grinding a 10-inch mirror. Used the old Porter Stellafane (Amateur Telescope Making) books as a guide. Doing this kind of thing helps appreciate how difficult it was to produce the highest quality finish possible....much better than any camera lens.

On 5/28/2022 at 8:02 PM, RWB said:

You can buy the book and get much more minutiae and little extra cost -- plus a full CD of nano-minutiae right down to the molecules in a gnat's eyelash. :)

OK--ok--the gnat part is a bit of hyperbole.

If you would have acted a few years ago you could have had one signed by Roger :)

On 5/29/2022 at 6:05 PM, numisport said:

If you would have acted a few years ago you could have had one signed by Roger :)

I will still sign copies for those who would like it. However I am now using a gnat's eyelash for a fountain pen. (Just request an autographed copy when ordering.)