• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Follow on to pay it forward, what have you done to help promote this hobby?

11 posts in this topic

I always tip my hairdresser in coins, I try to keep their value to $20 or so, which is a heafty tip as my haircut is only $25...lol..im an easy cut what can I say?.

Anyway, I tip her usually one coin because her son who was 8 years old was talking to her and she mentioned me being a coin collector and he was interested, so I offerred her one day did she want her $20 tip or a 1 oz eagle, this was back when an eagle was $20 to buy...she said the eagle as I showed her it at the time.

The next month a gave her a britannia, then a maple leaf, always in hard plastic holders, the next months it was modern 1 ounce silver coins until Christmas when I gave her a new Redbook and 'grading your coins' book for her son, now I give her historical coins, Indian head, 1943 war type set, morgan, peace dollar, hobo nickel etc, he now needs a large shelf putting up for the coins...I have family but they will get my choicest coins, these coins I give to the hairdresser are bought usually the week of...but I was wondering if any of you give back in some way to stop this hobby becoming the stamp collecting of the future..saying that I do love a nice penny red or black.lol.

I constantly boor everyone to tears with my collecting habits. lol Always giving away coins and banknotes to YN's and anyone who seems interested. I'm trying to organize a road trip to Centrals States next week with the nieces and nephews but am running into road blocks at the moment. Think we'll hit up the WFM in August instead. 

On 4/22/2022 at 6:31 PM, Dark Chameleon said:

I always tip my hairdresser in coins, I try to keep their value to $20 or so, which is a heafty tip as my haircut is only $25...lol..im an easy cut what can I say?.

Anyway, I tip her usually one coin because her son who was 8 years old was talking to her and she mentioned me being a coin collector and he was interested, so I offerred her one day did she want her $20 tip or a 1 oz eagle, this was back when an eagle was $20 to buy...she said the eagle as I showed her it at the time.

The next month a gave her a britannia, then a maple leaf, always in hard plastic holders, the next months it was modern 1 ounce silver coins until Christmas when I gave her a new Redbook and 'grading your coins' book for her son, now I give her historical coins, Indian head, 1943 war type set, morgan, peace dollar, hobo nickel etc, he now needs a large shelf putting up for the coins...I have family but they will get my choicest coins, these coins I give to the hairdresser are bought usually the week of...but I was wondering if any of you give back in some way to stop this hobby becoming the stamp collecting of the future..saying that I do love a nice penny red or black.lol.

Can I cut your hair? Nice gesture and good will.

I drive collectors to numbness by scribbling articles and books that are truthful, accurate and blowout many time-honored myths. ;)

On 4/22/2022 at 7:49 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Can I cut your hair? Nice gesture and good will.

OK. My only real time out, normally I used to go to the movies but when I moved to the other end of tgevstates I just stopped, used to do 100-150 movies a year..benefits of being disabled, every days a holiday..lol.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:00 PM, RWB said:

I drive collectors to numbness by scribbling articles and books that are truthful, accurate and blowout many time-honored myths. ;)

My day times are often spent in my LCS and when a Newby comes in I start my education of while the owner does his business, he don't mind and I can educate another Newby like I once was.

Well …, the ANA apparently thinks I do a lot, because I just found out I’m one of this year’s Glenn B. Smedley Award winners, to be awarded at Rosemont, IL this August. 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:42 PM, VKurtB said:

Well …, the ANA apparently thinks I do a lot, because I just found out I’m one of this year’s Glenn B. Smedley Award winners, to be awarded at Rosemont, IL this August. 

Very Nice. That is very cool. Kurt.. I want to remind everyone that is not a ANA member that there is a big discount this week if they want to join before the 25th.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:42 PM, VKurtB said:

Can't knock appreciation, congrats on the nomination, you must be helping a lot morebpeople then you thought.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:46 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Very Nice. That is very cool. Kurt.. I want to remind everyone that is not a ANA member that there is a big discount this week if they want to join before the 25th.

I just messaged my hairdresser for her son to join a few days ago, $13 ain't bad to see if he likes it, i said id pay for it towards her next tip if she wanted.

I spend time with our club's YNs and mentor them as best I can. One recent fun moment was when a young Chinese-American member was asking questions about some cashes.I told him about Hartill, then realized I could do something nice for him. I bought myself an updated copy and gave him my old one. He was so excited. My crew for the front desk at our show includes him, another YN and his dad (make a son happy and you make his parent happy, no doubt ever), and a mom who is on our board. They do good work and they walk away feeling like what they did mattered. I am very proud of the direction our officers have taken to promote numismatic education with a strong YN program, and the fact that a third of our attendees last night were women and YNs (a couple girls fit both categories) tells me we have an inclusive club that is building its future.