• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial Quarter Bodybag. Wait What?
2 2

16 posts in this topic

So I send this 1976 Bicentennial quarter in for grading and it comes back in a flip with 2 notes attached to it.. Problem is they didn't check any of the boxes off. Do they typically do so? So what did I pay for?? Pictures of coin and 2 notes below.

Screenshot_20220411-173627_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220411-173613_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220411-173835_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220411-173756_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220411-173736_Chrome.jpg

On 4/11/2022 at 6:55 PM, Errorists said:

Years ago yup.

Years ago?..   Then why are you asking now?

On 4/11/2022 at 7:07 PM, Errorists said:

Just noticed no boxes were check off today. 

Sorry.

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 5.09.32 PM.png

On 4/11/2022 at 6:11 PM, tj96 said:

Sorry.

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 5.09.32 PM.png

I don't why it didn't grade? Should I send it back in and try again or would it get bodybagged again? Sure looks like high grade coin for sure and may have been struck multiple times when looking at the edge..

More than likely it’s not a valid mint error. Probably something man made, like so many of the fantasies in this type of collecting these days. Seems like it has a noticeable seam. Probably a glue job. Therefore it wasn’t certified. And you paid for them to tell you it isn’t certifiable by them. Yes they should have checked a box for reasoning, but perhaps they get as annoyed as the rest of us with this stuff. The only thing they could have checked was other because this isn’t a submission seen often enough to necessitate a dedicated check box.

If you are going to focus solely on “errors”, and put yourself out as errorist, you need to learn the minting process and what a true error is. Hint some minor die cracks are of no significance to any real error collector no matter how many names you want to give it. 

Edited by Woods020

On 4/11/2022 at 6:16 PM, Woods020 said:

More than likely it’s not a valid mint error. Probably something man made, like so many of the fantasies in this type of collecting these days. Seems like it has a noticeable seam. Probably a glue job. Therefore it wasn’t certified. And you paid for them to tell you it isn’t certifiable by them. Yes they should have checked a box for reasoning, but perhaps they get as annoyed as the rest of us with this stuff. If you are going to focus solely on “errors”, and put yourself out as errorist, you need to learn the minting process and what a true error is. Hint some minor die cracks are of no significance to any real error collector. 

Nah.. Definitely an out of collar off center strike cladded coin. I have many such coins of this type and year that are graded by NGC..

On 4/11/2022 at 6:22 PM, Errorists said:

Nah.. Definitely an out of collar off center strike cladded coin. I have many such coins of this type and year that are graded by NGC..

Seems completely crazy that is was body bagged then…….

On 4/11/2022 at 8:26 PM, Errorists said:

I saw that but still don't get the confusion...

I think they were implying that there was something NCS could improve, but the coin could not be given a straight grade....or even a slightly bent grade.

You can always call them with the submission/cert number of the coin and ask if there are any graders notes or details in general. My guess is that the NGC grader/s identified an issue with the coin, PVC, etc., and recommended NCS conservation, this was declined and the coin sent back. (shrug)