• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not the kind of telegram one wants to receive from the boss!
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Mint Director Ross was evidently not pleased with Superintendent Mark Skinner's attitude regarding transfer of Mr. Moessner to New York.

Image1.thumb.jpg.a0355adee4bcfbbc7414cf2985a6c1e8.jpg

On 4/1/2022 at 4:36 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Should have transfered Leland Howard.....xD

Howard was hired by Ross on the recommendation of her son, Bradford. He had been a student of Howard's at University of Virginia. His mother was looking for someone to replace Mary O'Reilly, and Howard's background in accounting fit with her desire to update mint financial procedures. Howard was 100% toady. After WW-II he was part of the group that examined and audited gold and artworks looted by the Nazis. Later Mint Directors found Howard to be a pest and Eva Adams had him removed from the Mint, along with the gold licensing work.

Edited by RWB

On 4/1/2022 at 5:05 PM, RWB said:

Later Mint Directors found Howard to be a pest and Eva Adams had him removed from the Mint, along with the gold licensing work.

I read that he was a PITA with letting individuals or dealers bring back gold coins from ovrseas within the 1933 EO limits. 

I wonder how Paul Wittlin and his buyers (Paramount, Superior, etc.) as well as other dealers handled the guy.

Ross' initials indicate this was the approved text (with cross outs) that was to be sent by Western Union. Blue shows it was a presscopy that Ross approved.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:17 PM, RWB said:

Ross' initials indicate this was the approved text (with cross outs) that was to be sent by Western Union. Blue shows it was a presscopy that Ross approved.

You wonder why she just didn't call him and read him the riot act. (thumbsu

On 7/13/2022 at 7:27 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You wonder why she just didn't call him and read him the riot act. (thumbsu

[The problem with telephone calls is there is no record of documentation. Once you listen and hang up, you're stuck with... "I don't remember." "I don't recall."  "To the best of my recollection..." Etc.] 

Director Nellie Taylor Ross:  "Well then, allow me to refresh your recollection..."   :roflmao:

The telegram was an official document. A telephone call was not.

Mr. Moessner was being temporarily transferred to the NYAO to handle a large influx of foreign gold. Skinner sought to obstruct and delay this. Another telegram on the same date says:

"Failure to comply with instructions relative to Mr. [Ernest F.] Moessner inexplicable STOP I am at this moment wiring Mr. Moessner to report in New York not later than Wednesday [Sept 5] next week." Later that day she changed to order to "immediately, not waiting until next week."

As a former Governor, Ross was not going to accept insubordination. The telegram is a reprimand of Skinner. Notice that her first stop on a planned visit to the Mints and Assay Offices was Denver -- and a visit with Mr. Skinner.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:21 AM, RWB said:

The telegram was an official document. A telephone call was not.  Mr. Moessner was being temporarily transferred to the NYAO to handle a large influx of foreign gold. Skinner sought to obstruct and delay this. Another telegram on the same date says:  "Failure to comply with instructions relative to Mr. [Ernest F.] Moessner inexplicable STOP I am at this moment wiring Mr. Moessner to report in New York not later than Wednesday [Sept 5] next week." Later that day she changed to order to "immediately, not waiting until next week." As a former Governor, Ross was not going to accept insubordination. The telegram is a reprimand of Skinner. Notice that her first stop on a planned visit to the Mints and Assay Offices was Denver -- and a visit with Mr. Skinner.

What was the nature of the dispute between them ?

Moessner worked at Denver handling gold that was coming in from San Francisco Mint and western FRB Branches. Ross wanted him temporarily assigned to NYAO to help them deal with a large amount of foreign gold coin and bars that were coming in. Skinner didn't want Moessner moved because of the volume of his own Mint's gold workings and actively obstructed or did not act on Ross' orders.

I suspect that when Ross arrived at the Denver Mint, Skinner was appropriately contrite and apologetic - otherwise, Ross would have fired him on the spot.

This is the only instance I could find of this kind of exchange between Ross and subordinates; however, there is one letter to a female employee urging her to change her attitude or be dismissed.

Edited by RWB