• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double die or machine doubling on this 1961 memorial cent?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Welcome. This is how we learn and I’m far from an expert.
I’ll step up. I say MD. My understanding is that the step or little pedestal is even and there’s a couple other things missing to indicate anything other than MD. 

Edited by James Zyskowski

Welcome to the forum.

Please show the complete coin when asking questions as there are sometimes answers in other parts or the coin. In this case it looks like that may be DDD (Die Deterioration Doubling) but a complete photo would verify at.

I'm afraid that your full coin shot is too blurry to be of any use, however between the fact that Variety Vista has no DDO's listed for 1961 and what I see in your closeup of the date I would say that you have some simple mechanical doubling.   Welcome to the forum.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Your cent does indeed have Strike Doubling, which is the traditional term for what some upstarts now call Machine Doubling or Mechanical Doubling.

I rather prefer "machine" or "mechanical" because to many "strike doubling" suggests hitting the planchet twice. The other terms imply some sort of mechanical problem.

Edited by RWB

On 3/24/2022 at 4:59 PM, john.m.hamilton40 said:

Thank you all for the responses and educating me at the same time. 

Everyone here is anxious to help others and provide truthful information. Bring your questions here first, before looking at the mass of liars on video posts.

Edited by RWB