• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 USA penny double Die worth getting graded?

4 posts in this topic

Ok. I have delema about this coin. I have taken a close up of this coin and indicated what I see as doubling. 

But I have also read this is called a poor man's 1955 double and that it is worth about $10.00.

Now it is a beautiful coin and will grade red and a pretty high number on its own.

It costs me $50 USA  per coind by the time I ship from Canada. Do you think this is worth it and any recommendations appreciated/ Anyone who has had a similar experience with this type of marginal double. Will it graded as a double or will it just be rated as a normal coin?

The King's Koins

!955 USA penny double date?.png

Obverse 1955 USA one cent.png

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The "Poor Man's Doubled-Die" was popular during the 1960s, when few persons understood how coins are made. It is not a doubled-die but rather just the result of die erosion/abrasion. Therefore, NGC will not label it as an error or variety.

On 3/18/2022 at 2:33 PM, The King’s Koins said:

Now it is a beautiful coin and will grade red and a pretty high number on its own.

While it may be a nice coin, hard to fully judge from just these two partial photos, from what I can see it will not grade high.   However it is very possible that you define "grade high" differently than I do.