• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VAM’s/recognized error for 1999 Delaware State Quarter missing “E”

7 posts in this topic

First thanks all for answering my newbie questions. So I have another;  what does it take for a coin to be recognized as a known error?  The coin I have in question is the 1999 Delaware quarter. On the reverse of the coin it is completely missing the “E” in the phrase The first state.  Instead it reads “the first stat”.  There is absolutely no sign of a E.  I did look online and found some topics that people were finding them and it is believed to be caused by a grease issue.  But, how long would the Mint let something like this to run?   And, if there are enough out there why does it not get recognized?  I have only seen this one and some pics on-line so it must be rare.  Sorry for the bad pic. Thank you. 

3058A0C9-AA1E-42E0-839E-5FDB0E41A3D0.jpeg

VAM stands for Van Allen and Mallis who did a die study of Morgan and Peace dollars. It wouldn’t apply here. 

i can’t really see the coin, but a missing letter isn’t all that uncommon. It occurs from grease and debris from the machinery filling the letter on the die. Not really an error just part of the process. 

The most likely cause is gunk filling "E" of STATE. Others can better point you toward error web sites to see if it has already been discovered.

There's another thread where how this occurs is explained in more detail. That might be helpful.

Edited by RWB

I also didn’t answer your questions fully. The grease filled part of the die will dislodge itself from the striking process. It self fixes if that makes sense so not something the mint would “let go”

On 3/1/2022 at 6:45 PM, Tgcisland said:

Thank you.  Not that I am going to, but what if anything would come back on the slab from NGC or PCGS in this example (not grade).  

I cannot say about PCGS, I suspect that NGC would return it with nothing on the label except for the normal info with a grade.   This is an error but it happens so often and is a very common manufacturing defect, as such this is looked upon like strike doubling, an error but too common and insignificant to be worth attributing.    At the most you might get one of the TPG's to list something like "minor error" on the slab, but not worth the expense to have it graded.