• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone Determine this Cent for Late Die Stage Reverse?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I came across this 1996 D Lincoln cent. The Obverse is sharp as is most of the Reverse but some interesting weak points. The statue is barely visible and some of the letters in "United States of America are very weak as well. This seems to match up somewhat to Variety Vista 1996-D LDR. I assume I'm wrong but then again I usually am. LOL

The picture with the arrows in Variety Vista.

Thanks in advance.

1996-D-Eyes.JPG

1996D-Linc.jpg

1996D-oDate.JPG

1996D-States.JPG

IMG-4116.jpg

IMG-4115.jpg

IMG-4121.JPG

IMG-4120.JPG

1996D-LincReverse.jpg

Edited by Mr.Bill347
typo

Hey Bill. In my opinion, this is a LDS coin.  I say this because it appears that your coin has seen quite a bit of polishing (predominately STATES) and the little Lincoln statue on the reverse is barely visible which could be from a lot of polishing as well as just simply a worn out die.  Are you asking if this is a DDR?  I know the VV picture you supplied is DDR-001 listed by them but I'm not seeing it on your coin due to the obscurity and minimal relief on little Linc.  

Thanks GBrad,no I didn’t see any doubling either. Just saw the contrasting sharp points and weak points and that seemed to jump out at me. Why. Not that it is anything remarkable but just found it odd.

thanks again

On 3/1/2022 at 2:45 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Thanks GBrad,no I didn’t see any doubling either. Just saw the contrasting sharp points and weak points and that seemed to jump out at me. Why. Not that it is anything remarkable but just found it odd.

thanks again

You're welcome Bill.  Usually, with these horrid copper plated zincolns, there's normally other things associated with later die states but not always the case.  Stuff like ridge rings (usually on the obverse), split plating (sometimes), die deterioration doubling, etc....., you get the picture here, are usually seen.  But just based on what your pictures shows, I'd put it in the stage I mentioned due to the lack of detail on certain aspects of your Cent.  Just my opinion though.