• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tiberius tribute penny - genuine or fake?

6 posts in this topic

Hi to everyone!

I bought from Ebay a coin, Tiberius tribute penny. The seller has 100% positive feedbacks and are member from 2008. The coin: 18 mm, and 3.57 grams

I search on internet, the "tribute penny" can be clasified in 6 grades.

So, if it is real, please , in wich grade can be clasified this?

Thank you very much! (sorry my english)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by skyspot
forget something

What induces you to call it a penny? Looks to me like a denarius (of doubtful authenticity).

On 3/2/2022 at 1:39 PM, JKK said:

What induces you to call it a penny? Looks to me like a denarius (of doubtful authenticity).

That's what Tyndale, Coverdale, King James, and a few other old English translations of the Bible called it. Most other translations called it a denarius. It is believed to be the coin shown to Jesus when he told the Pharisees to "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's."

On 3/2/2022 at 5:50 PM, Just Bob said:

That's what Tyndale, Coverdale, King James, and a few other old English translations of the Bible called it. Most other translations called it a denarius. It is believed to be the coin shown to Jesus when he told the Pharisees to "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's."

I'm familiar with the Biblical reference, but I always recalled it saying "denarius." Then again, I washed my hands of all that 35 years ago, so my memory might not be so great.

The denarius was the basis for the shorthand "d" that appears when one is giving the price of something in pounds, shillings and pence. The medieval British penny was a silver coin that was similar to a denarius. For example  1p 2s 5d would be interpreted as "1 Pound, 2 Shillings and 5 Pence."

The Bible called it a "tribute penny" for that reason. 

Here is an example. And yes, I think that the OP is a counterfeit coin. 

Tiberious Dener All.jpg

Edited by BillJones