• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colorized 2000D Sacagawea Dollar - What is this?

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen this thing before or know what knock-off company makes these?. I found it in a mixed lot; it weighs 8.048g and the reverse looks like a normal 2000D Sacagawea but there's just something off about the way it feels. I suspect the obverse is just some sort of cheap aftermarket coating because the "D" mintmark can be seen but isn't highlighted. However, there doesn't appear to be a sticker or film coating around the edges. I highly doubt it has anything more than novelty value and perhaps I'll list it on eBay for max $5, but I don't want to do that without knowing anything about it's history or otherwise misrepresent the coin or myself. I scoured the Internet for like items and came up with zilch, so here I am asking for help from any of my fellow NGC members who are more experienced than I. Thanks for whatever you can offer, I appreciate the time & effort - JFD

On 2/25/2022 at 10:43 AM, Greenstang said:

Hard to really tell without a picture but there are many coloured coins on the market that have been altered after they left the mint. Pad printing is a popular method of colouring them.

My apologies, I thought I had deleted this duplicate post. My computer was giving me trouble and I accidentally made two posts. The other one right below this has pictures, bu thank you for the term "Pad Printing". That is new to me and I will research it.