• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Have Dan Carr's?........
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I actually was in a little group that worked to help Carr with the final design for the Amero coins. The first two are some designs I submitted, and the last two are the final coin designs.

The basic design was Carr, and the stars were my addition for a background. Neither one made the final design. (shrug)

It was a fun experience though.

The last two photos are of my coins..

star2.jpg

stars.jpg

Coin1005(1).jpg

Coin1006(1).jpg

Edited by MorganMan

The sculpting on those first couple is really childish -- 5th grader stuff. He clearly cannot handle the human form or other living things. That is difficult to do and it takes legitimate talent and skill to sculpt. As for design, they resemble "potty dollars" and not meaningful designs -- of course, William Barber's Trade dollar  and Sully's seated Liberty are the U.S. prototypes. You can also see the designer's ineptitude in his addition of state boundaries to the hemisphere at lower left of the 2nd medal.

The Denver Mint entrance with bars is more within his limited capabilities.

If members want to see the work of a professional artist - especially in handling the human form - look up Heidi Wastweet on-line. (Former CCAC member.)

Here are a couple of typical medals by Heidi. Notice the texture and relief of the people and animals. (The top two are dollar-size; the bottom one is 76.2 mm) They are alive with motion and character - not the vapid product of a hack. (I own a Raven Steals the Sun medal in silver - even more engaging in-hand.)

1622619655_WILLIENelson.png.e0367d85306d48bd83ffb7ffae571b60.png2109269279_duchessMarksova.png.24e477e8febaca22794f0903af9ce128.pngRaven-Heidi.thumb.jpg.ed05c419a1e8c4f61382d44ea4947d33.jpg

Edited by RWB

That's what I'm talkin' bout! 👍🏻

I believe (not a 100% sure) the Chinese have counterfeited this guy.  Which mean his work is pretty significant, whether you like him or not.  

Edited by tj96

On 2/19/2022 at 3:02 PM, Alex in PA. said:

I like Mr. Carr's work.  It is, by far, better than the US Mint.   :devil:

I can't say I know his history.  He's not just an artist but he's gotta be some kind of engineer.  I "believe" he works on, fixes, has spare parts made and fabricates his own equipment.

On 2/19/2022 at 3:21 PM, tj96 said:

I can't say I know his history. 

Neither can I but Dan Carr has been around for a long time.  ATS there's a lot of his fans and a lot who believe, because he doesn't mark his work 'COPY', that he should be run out of business.  I like his work and it has good eye appeal.  I, personally, don't see he has done anything wrong with his 'Overstamps'.

On 2/19/2022 at 3:47 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Neither can I but Dan Carr has been around for a long time.  ATS there's a lot of his fans and a lot who believe, because he doesn't mark his work 'COPY', that he should be run out of business.  I like his work and it has good eye appeal.  I, personally, don't see he has done anything wrong with his 'Overstamps'.

I agree.  The guy is talented.  Overall, I believe the guy is an asset to the numismatic community.

http://www.dc-coin.com/2001apolloastronautgoldendollarprototypesilverprooflike.aspx

I’m fairly certain someone doesn’t like D Carr.  I recall a complaint being filed which is public, meaning others can see it.  I tried to follow the issues but got distracted by a concept that those that torture animals are likely to also be serial killers.

Our RWB is CONSTANTLY digging at Dan Carr. His critiques of Dan’s designs are fair. They are not very sophisticated and are fairly childlike. But he also DID design the New York and Rhode Island state quarters, one of which (RI) ain’t bad. Ironically, the same simplistic design criticisms that can be levied against Carr can ALSO be levied against other coin designers, such as Robert Ingersol Aiken, who designed the 1915 $50 Pan Pac slugs, the Missouri and San Diego commem halves, and the west facing pediment of the Supreme Court building in D.C. So…, good company, right?

On 2/23/2022 at 3:57 PM, VKurtB said:

Our RWB is CONSTANTLY digging at Dan Carr. His critiques of Dan’s designs are fair. They are not very sophisticated and are fairly childlike. But he also DID design the New York and Rhode Island state quarters, one of which (RI) ain’t bad. Ironically, the same simplistic design criticisms that can be levied against Carr can ALSO be levied against other coin designers, such as Robert Ingersol Aiken, who designed the 1915 $50 Pan Pac slugs, the Missouri and San Diego commem halves, and the west facing pediment of the Supreme Court building in D.C. So…, good company, right?

Including some of the modern junk (Commemoratives) coming out of the mint today.  Some would same the US Mint makes coins today, like the Post Office makes stamps!  :roflmao:

On 2/23/2022 at 3:55 PM, tj96 said:

Including some of the modern junk (Commemoratives) coming out of the mint today.  Some would same the US Mint makes coins today, like the Post Office makes stamps!  :roflmao:

Yes, but too often the blame lies with the enabling legislation. The U.S. Mint has far less of a free hand in design than really any other mint worldwide. In most nations, all these coinage decisions come from executive offices. In our country, Congress wields the biggest stick. All coin legislation has one thing in common - closed door everything in Congress, and then WHAM, it goes from nowhere to being passed bicamerally in less than a day. Either the Prez signs it as is, or it goes away. 

Let me just say that anyone who tries to create interest in numismatics today, where many younger people could care less about it, is an asset to us all.

And with some of the horrors coming out of the US Mint today, just about any decent design could surpass the mint!