• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coins Used As Tools
1 1

10 posts in this topic

If it has a handle it probably a pie crust edger. Before baking the, cook would run this around the rim of a pie pan and the pressure would fuse the top and bottom crusts.

Fancy silver spurs were occasionally made from Mexican pesos.

People have used coins for all kinds of industrial uses for as long as they have been around. Coins have been used a lot as washers or spacers in building. I’ve seen them be shims in machines. First time I’m seeing this use, but not totally surprising. It’s decent metal material in a round shape readily available. 

Yep. It was cheaper than buying a ready-made part -- esp if the gear spacing was unusual.

I remember my Grandmother using the kind that Just Bob mentioned for marking sewing patterns and quilts. Put down the fabric, add a piece of carbon paper, then the store-bought pattern. Trace over the pattern with a toothed or rough-edge wheel to transfer for cutting. Eliminated a lot of pins and other stuff. (I wonder of farmers used it on a cow to trace out the various cuts of meat before the cow went  to the butcher.....? )

Edited by RWB

Although I don't have a coin that was repurposed for a old fashion tool, I do have my modernized leveling (coin) tool that works perfectly after losing the rubber foot on my coffeemaker. :idea: ...and it's probably cheaper then buying a another rubber foot...haha.

5cLevel[1].jpg