• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1831 1 Franc France, Henri V Pretender Coin - Grade?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

What grade do you think this makes? It didn't cost me much so I am thinking of sending it in. The reverse is very lustrous, kind of hard to show in the photos but it is very bright when tilted in light. It is maybe AU58, but usually AU coins are dull in my experience, and even though the veins in the reverse leaves are worn, I'm unsure if it is wear or a weak strike. The weight is 4.96 grams, it came from a reputable auction and I'm pretty confident its genuine. 

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

pretend1.jpg

pretend2.jpg

Edited by Tobias J Reily
Adding photos.

As far as authenticity, I am not well-versed on these, so I won't even attempt that. 

As to the grade: If the wear was confined to the high spots that are directly opposite high relief areas on the other side, I might think "weak strike." But it seems to be fairly even across most the lettering and devices, including the rim. Put that with the numerous tics and light scratches, and I will call this one in the lower AU range.

On the other hand, if it isn't real, then you can probably toss what I said above out the window. I hope it is real. It is a nice looking piece.