• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you suggest sending this coin for grading? 1887 Indian Head Mint Error

12 posts in this topic

Not sure if the value of my 1887 Indian head would be worth sending off to be professionally graded... Appears to be off center possibly on both sides. I am a beginner coin collector, looking for suggestions..thanks

double stamp Indian 1.jpg

double stamp indian 2.jpg

On 2/1/2022 at 5:38 AM, metalmaniac said:

Not sure if the value of my 1887 Indian head would be worth sending off to be professionally graded... Appears to be off center possibly on both sides. I am a beginner coin collector, looking for suggestions..thanks

Your coin is not struck off center, it has significant wear and with the rim worn down it may kind of look like an off center strike.  I suspect the rev was over struck after leaving the mint, by whom or with what I cannot say as the writing is incomplete.   Perhaps an attempt to make a merchet token that did not work, or even an attempt at making an "error" coin in order to deceive.

While we may never know the real reason your coin was overstruck on the rev I do not think it is a mint error.   In my opinion it would be a waste of money to send for grading but that is your choice to make.

I do not think that happened at the mint. I have a hard time imagining that a larger die saying MERCHwhatever hit it at the mint. If the US Mint contracted out to make some sort of merchant tokens, then theoretically, maybe. That I do not know.

I think this is interesting. What makes it look curious is the rims on the obverse of the coin. I would tend to think that a post mint strike on the reverse would also have some effect on the obverse.

IMO, I do not think it is worth slabbing other than to authenticate. I would go to ANACS and have them take a look see.

I'm with the others....I do not think it's an actual mint error.  I believe that whatever happened to your coin happened after it left the mint.