• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEGINNER PURCHASED 1836 CAPPED BUST HALF DOLLAR UNCIRCULATED $191.38

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, my name is Ann,  I just started collecting US Coin about two months ago, purchased 1836 CAPPED BUST HALF DOLLAR UNCIRCULATED TO BETTER LETTERED EDGE, eBay item 393788314400, I been reading a lot about US Coins. First the Coin was way to cheap, second it has a raised section near chin, I think collectors call it a raised pillow look. Just would like to know if real, I nearly forgot it has writing on edge. Thank you for any reply

1836-1.JPG

1836-2.JPG

1836-3.JPG

Edited by T10PARACHUTE
Sharper photos added

I agree genuine, and lightly cleaned, but I think it is more of an XF than a AU (No way is it Unc).  The slight raised area in the field in front of the face is a slight case of Progressive Indirect Design Transfer of the eagles wing from the reverse.  Not that unusual on capped bust halves.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I think it is more of an XF than a AU

It's possible you're taking lack of high point detail for wear, but I believe it looked that way as made. The obverse die was quite worn.

Genuine. Cleaned/scrubbed. Not really "AU-58" which is the only legitimate "about uncirculated" grade descriptor. Too much wear on portrait, eagle, and fields. It might fit what TPGs call "AU-50 or AU-55" but those are really "Extremely Fine" condition coins. The cost of $191 is about right for the actual grade, except for the date, info on the 2x2 holder is balogna. Next time be pickier about denticles and other details of the coin so you can get a nicer looking coin for the same money.

(Side note -- Whenever you see coins with lots of " ++++ " signs on the holder, the chances are very good that the grader is an ignorant oaf who is deliberately lying about the coin.)

Edited by RWB

Welcome to the forum Ann.  I am not that well versed in Bust Halves, but I would think this coin would grade as AU details cleaned.   I think you overpaid for it given that the coin shows signs of cleaning, the problem with buying coins with problems (like cleaning or rim dings etc) is that those problem coins are more difficult to sell when that time comes.   This was not a large sum of money so your downside is minimal, however, if you continue to overpay for problem coins it could add up to a substantial loss down the road.

Some food for thought, great coins are not cheap and cheap coins are often not great.   Enjoy your coin collecting it is a fun hobby but does have some pitfalls to be aware of.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:41 AM, Conder101 said:

I agree genuine, and lightly cleaned, but I think it is more of an XF than a AU (No way is it Unc).  The slight raised area in the field in front of the face is a slight case of Progressive Indirect Design Transfer of the eagles wing from the reverse.  Not that unusual on capped bust halves.

Hi, Thank you for taking time to reply, greatly appreciated. Kind regards Ann

On 1/20/2022 at 7:25 AM, RWB said:

Genuine. Cleaned/scrubbed. Not really "AU-58" which is the only legitimate "about uncirculated" grade descriptor. Too much wear on portrait, eagle, and fields. It might fit what TPGs call "AU-50 or AU-55" but those are really "Extremely Fine" condition coins. The cost of $191 is about right for the actual grade, except for the date, info on the 2x2 holder is balogna. Next time be pickier about denticles and other details of the coin so you can get a nicer looking coin for the same money.

(Side note -- Whenever you see coins with lots of " ++++ " signs on the holder, the chances are very good that the grader is an ignorant oaf who is deliberately lying about the coin.)

Hi, Thank you for your reply, greatly appreciated. Kindest regards Ann

On 1/18/2022 at 9:18 PM, T10PARACHUTE said:

Hi everyone, my name is Ann,  I just started collecting US Coin about two months ago, purchased 1836 CAPPED BUST HALF DOLLAR UNCIRCULATED TO BETTER LETTERED EDGE, eBay item 393788314400, I been reading a lot about US Coins. First the Coin was way to cheap, second it has a raised section near chin, I think collectors call it a raised pillow look. Just would like to know if real, I nearly forgot it has writing on edge. Thank you for any reply

Welcome to the forums, Ann. :)

I know nothing about Capped Busts, but I do know that older, more valued coins are the victims of prodigious counterfeiting.  Happy that the experts here say you were not a victim and your coin appears geniune.

You stated that you just started collecting 2 months ago.  Without knowing about what you will be collecting besides Capped Busts and without knowing your financial resources, be VERY CAREFUL when buying raw coins.  Yes, you pay more for graded/certified coins....and there are issues with overgrading and the occasional counterfeit slab....but your chances of getting stuck with a fake coin from one of the TPGs are infinitessimally smaller than buying raw.

There are lots of great threads here on many coins. Take advantage of them.  There are also good books referenced -- read them over time, too.  Take advantage of the online resources from Heritage Auctions and Great Collections (and even Ebay, occasionally) to see what the market for a particular coin you like sells for.

And don't be shy about asking here for advice on any coin investment that involves a significant financial or emotional investment.

Welcome ! (thumbsu