• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Silver Eagle
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I will qualify my answer saying that the way I view coins is to flip it up, and in this way it is sort of upside down but appears correctly. As James said most coinage is this way. If you simply rotate it sideways, it will appear upside down. 

It was originally done this way to identify the difference between coins of value (head-to-toe orientation) and that of military medals (which have a head-to-head orientation). After awhile, it was kept that way as a tradition. This is called a “coin turn,” and it is simply traditional for US coinage.

On 1/15/2022 at 11:11 PM, Walter Holmes said:

Yes,  both the 2021 ASE Type 1 and Type 2 are struck in opposite directions on the obverse and the reverse. 

And all other years as well.  On the other hand a lot (but not all) of Chinese fakes have them struck in medal orientation.

Edited by Conder101