• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who like So Called Slugs?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

@coinsarefun

OK, I get it.  One holder is strategically covered up.  Another is apparently undeserving of a holder.  Most are presumably authenticated and certified -- with grades!

One question:  have any facsimiles been counterfeited?  Nice treasure trove!    🐓 

On 1/9/2022 at 6:01 PM, Just Bob said:

Cool slug collection!

As long as your imprimatur is on this, I have no further questions.   🐓 

My one and only SCD I own. This was produced for and sold by the Alabama State fund for participation in the 1915 Pan Pac Expo. Many states had similar SCDs produced to sell for funding participation as well. 

0D8C2B1C-7D59-4BEC-811A-E14298E2D227.jpeg

89846C4D-F41C-4135-AE8F-A303E13A8DB2.jpeg

Edited by Woods020
Added better pics and some background info

On 1/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@coinsarefun

OK, I get it.  One holder is strategically covered up.  Another is apparently undeserving of a holder.  Most are presumably authenticated and certified -- with grades!

One question:  have any facsimiles been counterfeited?  Nice treasure trove!    🐓 

Actually, I was trying to be creative while displaying the collection. I can post the boring set……see below.

and, yes, to your question there have been many counterfeited. And, unfortunately both grading companies have incorrectly designated several slug varieties.

17C7AB59-37CA-4D10-9A99-274A0EDAD1D7.jpeg

On 1/9/2022 at 4:19 PM, RWB said:

I recall there being a web site devoted to these. Great souvenirs of the PPIE.

There are a few mentioned on socalleddollar.com

https://www.socalleddollar.com/ajSlugs.html

And Jankovsky has some info online and his cd book has great info

http://www.jankovsky.net/html/slug_facsimiles.html

Some cool examples Stephanie, love to see them posted and enjoy. (thumbsu   Sadly I have none in my collection to share so I will live vicariously through collectors like yourself until I am able to add something along these lines to my collection.

I was not aware the Green Duck Company was one of the companies who minted some of these slugs. Do you have any with the gd or GDC mark on them? Pictures below:

5b9212462b782.jpg

5a79b0c719275.jpg

On 1/9/2022 at 7:42 PM, Just Bob said:

I was not aware the Green Duck Company was one of the companies who minted some of these slugs. Do you have any with the gd or GDC mark on them? Pictures below:

5b9212462b782.jpg

5a79b0c719275.jpg

Hi Bob,

I must say my health has declined somewhat so I don’t remember. I’ll have to take a look over the next few days and get back to you.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:31 PM, coinsarefun said:

Hi Bob,

I must say my health has declined somewhat so I don’t remember. I’ll have to take a look over the next few days and get back to you.

I am very sorry to hear that about your health. I hope it improves rapidly.

Please don't put yourself out on my account. I was just curious. Green Duck was started in Chicago, but moved to Mississippi in the 60s or early 70s. 

On 1/9/2022 at 8:14 PM, Coinbuf said:

Some cool examples Stephanie, love to see them posted and enjoy. (thumbsu   Sadly I have none in my collection to share so I will live vicariously through collectors like yourself until I am able to add something along these lines to my collection.

Awesome examples Stephanie:banana:(thumbsu