• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfiet 1 Yuan
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have a counterfiet 1 Yuan...

Year 21 (1932) Junk L&M-108 Dollar

How I sell this ??  Ebay & other online avenues frown on selling these coins...

Thanx,

Chris

20220109_103909.jpg

20220109_103649_resized.jpg

20220109_103753.jpg

Edited by Jeffares

You don't. If you bought it from a reputable person, get your money back. If you bought it from a disreputable person, you're hosed, presuming you yourself are a reputable person. If you were given it without compensation, you were given an item of no numismatic value.

These are common as dirt. There wouldn't even be a theoretical market for them, unless the plan is "hope for a clewless newb to happen along who does not know these are common as dirt." A reputable person would never do that. If it is actually silver (unlikely but not impossible; some counterfeiters use real precious metal), there's nothing morally wrong with selling it for bullion value provided you disclose its fakery. An advantage to the fakery is that there's no good reason the bullion buyer can't do a damaging assay to figure out just how much Ag (if any) is in it.

Were it me, first thing I'd do is run it past a magnet. If you get any attraction, I doubt it has enough Ag in it to bother with. Iron counterfeits with silver plating are a very common sort.

Exactly what Jonathan said.  You don't sell it.  You don't pass your mistake onto another person.....that's just wrong.  This is one of the reasons why eBay even has to have that rule about selling fakes.....because there are people who would consider selling their fakes to another person to get out from under them.  That's wrong.  The best course of action here would be to just eat the loss and chalk this up to a learning experience and move on.  Unless what you received is actually made of silver.  Then, as Jonathan also said, there's nothing wrong with selling this item for its silver bullion value as long as you state that the coin is a fake made of silver.  In such a case, your buyer would still be getting a lump of silver with some value.  Otherwise, what you have is worthless.

Edited by Mohawk

Didn't buy it, found in my father's coin collection after he passed.  Passed the magnet test & sounds like 80% silver...but has all the marking of a fake.  

I have a few friends that collect fake currency....so thought maybe someone would want it.

I appreciate the advise...