• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipwreck coins...how can you tell if they are real of replicas? I have two and they test a bit over 18K

36 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, Mohawk said:

It kind of sounds like what the German mints do from time to time.  They'll restrike older and rarer coins but date them somewhere on the coin with the date it was actually struck.  They're actually coins of the stated denomination...they're struck by the official Mints in the original materials, but often in a modern proof finish.  Here's an example:

NumisBids: Katz Coins Notes & Supplies Corp. E-Auction 27 (29 Nov - 1 Dec  2019): Germany

Also 1780 Maria Teresa thalers. Often re-issued. 

On 1/16/2022 at 6:42 PM, VKurtB said:

Also 1780 Maria Teresa thalers. Often re-issued. 

Yes, indeed.  There are many, many restrikes of the Maria Teresa thalers.  From mints all over the world, not just Austria.  Though Austria has made more than their fair share, for sure.

On 1/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, Mohawk said:

Yes, indeed.  There are many, many restrikes of the Maria Teresa thalers.  From mints all over the world, not just Austria.  Though Austria has made more than their fair share, for sure.

1915 ducats, too. 

On 1/16/2022 at 6:47 PM, VKurtB said:

1915 ducats, too. 

Oh yeah!!!  I often forget about those in the restrike discussion, but them too, definitely!! I probably forget about them because I'm not a gold guy.  Do you know if mints aside from the Austrian Mint restruck the ducats like the Maria Teresa thalers, or were they just restruck by the Austrians?

On 1/16/2022 at 5:51 PM, Mohawk said:

Oh yeah!!!  I often forget about those in the restrike discussion, but them too, definitely!! I probably forget about them because I'm not a gold guy.  Do you know if mints aside from the Austrian Mint restruck the ducats like the Maria Teresa thalers, or were they just restruck by the Austrians?

The one I have was bought from the Austrian Mint booth at a past ANA summer show. I guess it was maybe 2004. Same with my 1780’s. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/16/2022 at 3:37 PM, VKurtB said:

The replicas were graded as “genuine replicas”... Therefore a fantasy coin and NOT a counterfeit, DESPITE Mr. Burdette’s protestations to the contrary. He’s WRONG on his definition. Absolutely WRONG. 

I don't know who's right or wrong but to the consternation of at least one member, I use the term "legitimate counterfeit." I don't sweat the small stuff; life is too short. As the late Betty White observed, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana."   😉