• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ring and coins found in shallow wreck off Israili coast
1 1

6 posts in this topic

[The Black Sea (some theorize was formed in the aftermath of a volcanic eruption and ensuing tsunami emanating from the Mediterranean) has proven  to be a virtual graveyard of perfectly preserved early sailing vessels due to a lack of oxgen below, but, to my knowledge no precious metals were found -- mostly olive oil in casks.  Significant yields the world over are yet to be found, IMO]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing (oxygen)

The fine condition of the ring isn't surprising, the coins maybe but I suspect the ones shown have either already been cleaned or is just a stock image of some other coins and not the actual coins from the wreak.

On 12/22/2021 at 5:13 PM, Conder101 said:

The fine condition of the ring isn't surprising, the coins maybe but I suspect the ones shown have either already been cleaned or is just a stock image of some other coins and not the actual coins from the wreak.

This is precisely why I used the respectful moniker [I am no longer permitted to use on the Forum] to refer to you and others with unusual attributes.  How does one rebut such testimony?  You ARE a contender!  🐓 

The article is not clear that there were two wrecks in the same small area 1 was 3rd century CE and the other 14th century CE. The photos shows only part of the 3rd century Roman wreck. The BBC does not commonly use "stock" photos of ancient coin finds.