• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just experimenting with Macro photogrpahy
1 1

11 posts in this topic

The folliwing photos were taken with a 15megapixel Nikon D5600 with a Macro lens from about 5 inches away.

The last two taken with my Iphone SE

I've really been working hard trying to find the correct setup so I can photograph my collection for documentation.

Please let me know if I am on the right track.

Thank You

Bill

DSC_2238B.jpg

DSC_2239B.jpg

DSC_2243B.jpg

DSC_2245B.jpg

IMG-2929.jpg

IMG-2930.jpg

Consistently out of focus. Possibly camera and coin not parallel. The Nikon photos have color fringing -- is something damaged?

Agree that you have focus issues, if you need to place a small level on the camera body to see if it is parallel to the surface the coin is on.   The cell phone photos will work for simple documentation purposes but you need to correct the white balance.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:27 PM, RWB said:

Consistently out of focus. Possibly camera and coin not parallel. The Nikon photos have color fringing -- is something damaged?

Looks like the LAST two are the Nikon, and the first two the phone.

On 12/16/2021 at 3:27 PM, RWB said:

Thanks RWB I was not able to get the camera paralleled due to using a Tripod next to my desk. The camera is new so it is operator error. The color changing was due to experimenting with a photo editor. The last ones of the WCD quarter were only cropped.

Simple collector, you mention a copy stand. What is that and where would I find one?

coinbuf regarding the iPhone white balance, I’m not sure how to do that with the iPhone. 
thanks guys!

On 12/16/2021 at 4:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Looks like the LAST two are the Nikon, and the first two the phone.

No because those focus errors show on the Nikon due to unparalleled camera. The iPhone shots have to be handheld that’s why I don’t like using it for that.

On 12/16/2021 at 3:24 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

No because those focus errors show on the Nikon due to unparalleled camera. The iPhone shots have to be handheld that’s why I don’t like using it for that.

I once saw a stand for macro shots on iPhones. The guy who puts together the national list of coin shows online had it. CoinZip? Trying to remember. 

On 12/16/2021 at 12:55 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Nikon D5600 with a Macro lens

What macro lens? Are you using a cheaper DX 60 mm macro or are you using the 105 mm G series VR? Or something else? If you're using a VR lens on a tripod, switch off the VR.

These are from my regular lens,18-70mm lens  NIKON D5600 F4.5 ISO 6400, 1/200 S with a MACRO and 1X filter on the front.

Any improvement?

DSC_2337_edited.jpg

DSC_2335_edited.jpg

DSC_2332_edited.jpg

DSC_2320_edited.jpg

DSC_2316_edited.jpg

DSC_2342_edited.jpg

DSC_2344_edited.jpg

Edited by Mr.Bill347
last two pics