• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1923 Peace Dollar question

13 posts in this topic

Its a very nice onr for sure. Great find. Ive not fooled with peace dollars enough to know what to look for on them myself.  Thats still out in the future sometime. It sure looks MS to me. But im not that educated on them yet. 

Edited by Hoghead515

Overall I think it's a attractive coin but with the dings along the rims on either side and the softness of the hair and what appears to be some minor "scratches" near the PEACE and a few other locations.
I'm going to stick my neck out at AU58/MS60, perhaps high but I'm still a newb ... hahaha.
It would be easy for me to say higher due to the fact I really like the reverse on these a lot.

The coin looks like it's somewhere between AU58 and MS63. The good news is that there's very little difference in value within that grade range. I think it's worth in the $35 to $45 range. 

On 12/8/2021 at 12:36 PM, MarkFeld said:

The coin looks like it's somewhere between AU58 and MS63. The good news is that there's very little difference in value within that grade range. I think it's worth in the $35 to $45 range. 

I'm with you on the grade range here, Mark.  AU58-MS63, which is the best I can do without the coin in hand on this one.  Greg, I like your coin.  It's got a nice look regardless of what the actual grade is.  Its appearance is unique and distinctive.....which is a hard thing to achieve for a 1923 Peace Dollar.

Edited by Mohawk
Typo.....isn't it always?

On 12/8/2021 at 1:00 PM, RWB said:

AU. Abrasion on wings and hair, etc. A keepsake keeper. Mark's comment is reasonable.

🐓:  Good thing you kept your mouth shut, boss!

Q.A.: It's like that old saying: better to be silent and be thought a fool then to speak and remove all doubt.  😉 

On 12/8/2021 at 5:58 PM, Coinbuf said:

Neat coin for several reasons, I think it would likely grade as a low MS maybe 62ish.   Great family keepsake coin that would look great in one of the Capital plastic single coin holders.

Now that's a great idea, Coinbuf!! Greg's coin would look sharp in one of those holders.  And they're pretty cheap.  You get a lot of beauty and protection from those single coin holders.

On 12/8/2021 at 11:32 PM, Just Bob said:

Is that damage to the eagle's face, or is it just the way the picture looks?

Looks AU to me.

Hello Just Bob.  I pulled this Peace out again tonight and took a better look at it after you mentioned this and took this pic of the Eagle's face.  I'm not sure how that depression was created.   It does not resemble any kind of damage I am familiar with. I say this because it definitely does not appear to be a hit or else you would not see the delicate flow lines that you can see, if I'm not mistaken.  The flow lines would be flattened and it would be a smooth area if it was a contact mark if I am correct in saying so.  These very tiny flow lines are throughout this coin now that I have examined it under higher magnification. If this coin spent time in circulation, wouldn't these tiny striations be eliminated or worn down due to circulation wear? Still learning here about the intricacies of grading. What is your opinion on this? Thanks.

Edit: That small black line adjacent to the eye is a piece of lint or something:). It's not on the coin. Just FYI.

IMG_2352.jpg

Edited by GBrad

On 12/8/2021 at 11:32 PM, Just Bob said:

Is that damage to the eagle's face, or is it just the way the picture looks?

Looks AU to me.

You certainly have an eagle's eyesight; I have to give you that.