• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FUN or NYINC? Anyone going?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Neither for me.(tsk)   The costs to fly across country coupled with the hotel and food costs would leave nothing to spend on coins so no point in going for me.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 12/5/2021 at 8:31 AM, Zebo said:

Are you going to either (or both) FUN or NYINC this January? 

Strictly off the record, my wife, who calls the shots, says due to the "agreement" and "contract" I signed (marriage license) she is obligated to accompany me everywhere.  Bearing that in mind, I don't need to spend a few days at NYINC. I believe I can knock out the whole shebang in a few hours:  "Any Roosters?...  Anyway Roosters?  (I will carry my favorite encapsulated example and produce it discreetly like an FBI agent.)  No refreshments. On the move methodically reviewing the displays. A strictly in-and-out affair. All business.  🐓 

I have it on mediocre authority that FUN is also having a new class this year: "Sexing Iguanas When They Fall on Your Head." This now goes with the new class last year - which was postponed - called "Iguanas: Kebabs or Nuggets?"

On 12/5/2021 at 12:58 PM, World Colonial said:

No, but if I move to central FL as I might early next year, I might consider it later if I can free up the time.

Where are you moving to in central Florida? I lived in that area for a few years. Have a house down there I’m thinking of selling after the new year. May have a house for you 😂

On 12/5/2021 at 1:58 PM, World Colonial said:

No, but if I move to central FL as I might early next year, I might consider it later if I can free up the time.

Florida is a very hot market these days. Loads of folks moving to escape.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:02 PM, Woods020 said:

Where are you moving to in central Florida? I lived in that area for a few years. Have a house down there I’m thinking of selling after the new year. May have a house for you 😂

Don't know the timing yet but if it ever happens, somewhere in the Orlando area.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:34 PM, World Colonial said:

Don't know the timing yet but if it ever happens, somewhere in the Orlando area.

I lived in Lake Mary. If you can stomach I4 it’s a nice area around there. 

I have promised to judge exhibits at FUN this year, and NYC will still be run by people of questionable intelligence and morals at that time, so no NYINC this year, and perhaps never again, for me. I have a serious hankering for a European coin show trip.

On 12/6/2021 at 1:09 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

My health has been a problem lately so I may just do NYINC this year.  I live in the NY area but really was hoping to do FUN after meeting lots of NGC and CT friends at FUN 2020.

Well darn. I hurt myself pretty bad and not sure if they can screw my bones back together in time for FUN. Can't even get a surgery date. I'm booked for Fun but still have time to cancel if needed. If I cancel a week before, it won't cost much. Not what I had planed for the new year.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:27 AM, VKurtB said:

I have promised to judge exhibits at FUN this year, and NYC will still be run by people of questionable intelligence and morals at that time, so no NYINC this year, and perhaps never again, for me. I have a serious hankering for a European coin show trip.

Please elaborate

On 12/7/2021 at 8:01 AM, ldhair said:

Well darn. I hurt myself pretty bad and not sure if they can screw my bones back together in time for FUN. Can't even get a surgery date. I'm booked for Fun but still have time to cancel if needed. If I cancel a week before, it won't cost much. Not what I had planed for the new year.

I have been finding with all the restrictions being placed on just about everything - if I need some non-emergency, but needed care, my local vet is a good bet. :devil:

On 12/7/2021 at 7:01 AM, ldhair said:

What happened?

On 12/7/2021 at 12:27 AM, VKurtB said:

....NYC will still be run by people of questionable intelligence and morals....

Good to know the sellers and me will be getting along swimmingly well.  😉 

On 12/7/2021 at 2:32 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Good to know the sellers and me will be getting along swimmingly well.  😉 

Not the show. The people who run that are great folks. The city is run by folks of extraordinarily low intellect.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:08 AM, Zebo said:

Please elaborate

Which part? If you’re asking about the show, both the bourse and the educational programs are EXCEPTIONALLY well run. I BELIEVE the Chair of educational programs is still both a great personal friend and the current ANA Farman Zerbe award, Kerry Wetterstrom. 

The City at large is a cruel joke at this point in time. I would feel safe NOWHERE in Manhattan these days. The inmates are running the asylum. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, VKurtB said:

Which part? If you’re asking about the show, both the bourse and the educational programs are EXCEPTIONALLY well run. I BELIEVE the Chair of educational programs is still both a great personal friend and the current ANA Farman Zerbe award, Kerry Wetterstrom. 

The City at large is a cruel joke at this point in time. I would feel safe NOWHERE in Manhattan these days. The inmates are running the asylum. 

Thanks - I was wondering about the show. I’ve always heard good things about it. 

On 12/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, VKurtB said:

.... I would feel safe NOWHERE in Manhattan these days....

And you have guns!  If you flew in with one without the requisite NYC pistol permit, you would be the one arrested and turned over to federal authorities. Go figure.

On 12/7/2021 at 3:19 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

And you have guns!  If you flew in with one without the requisite NYC pistol permit, you would be the one arrested and turned over to federal authorities. Go figure.

First, I would never fly in. Two choices: 1) Amtrak, or 2) Drive into the parking lot in Weehawken and take the ferry into Manhattan. But yes, any place that won’t honor my concealed carry permit is a place I would never want to be. Even making an exception for summer ANA shows in Illinois is ONLY something I’ll do because the show isn’t in the center of the City of Chicago.

Anyone who hasn’t tried the NY Waterway to get into Manhattan hasn’t properly lived yet. Civilized. And they are the folks who plucked Sully’s passengers off the wings of the airliner in the Hudson, too.

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/7/2021 at 6:01 AM, ldhair said:

Sorry to hear this Larry, hope you get mended up in time to go, if not then there is later in the year or next year.

On 12/7/2021 at 7:01 AM, ldhair said:

I hope all is well considering. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

On 12/7/2021 at 11:11 PM, Woods020 said:

I hope all is well considering. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

Me too, my friend. 🐓