• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berlin World Money Fair?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

It has official dates (January 28-30, 2022) but it seems to be in a holding pattern of delay. Anyone have any official word? The flights and hotel spaces are dirt cheap.

I would be willing to bet it is a no go. My coworkers in that area were telling me last week that another lockdown was forthcoming. In a few different countries. 

I was supposed to be in Holzkirchen in January for work and have already cancelled. Even if it would work it would be touch and go the whole time. 

Edited by Woods020

I don't know if it will be cancelled but I do know some guy named Omicron (who goes by one name like Banksy and Madonna) enjoys a world-wide reputation, and calls all the shots.  :makepoint: doh! :facepalm: 

It’s now official. The 28-30 January Berlin Show is off. There will be an online program in February and they hope to schedule an in person show later in the year.

On 12/22/2021 at 12:15 AM, VKurtB said:

It’s now official. The 28-30 January Berlin Show is off. There will be an online program in February and they hope to schedule an in person show later in the year.

Somewhat curious,... is there any specific coin you are looking for? Does MA-SHOP figure into any of this?  A notorius bunker [which lies under an extensive slab of concrete]? Or a simple hankering for Wiener schnitzel? What ever you do, beware Omnicron?

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:53 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Somewhat curious,... is there any specific coin you are looking for? Does MA-SHOP figure into any of this?  A notorius bunker [which lies under an extensive slab of concrete]? Or a simple hankering for Wiener schnitzel? What ever you do, beware Omnicron?

No, the Berlin Money Fair is a bucket list experience for me. It’s the biggest in the world. A chance to whip out my schoolboy Deutsch, enough to get around. Plus Photokina is in Köln in May. Doubleheader? Plus, I want to see former communist areas and interact with elders there. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, VKurtB said:

No, the Berlin Money Fair is a bucket list experience for me. It’s the biggest in the world. A chance to whip out my schoolboy Deutsch, enough to get around. Plus Photokina is in Köln in May. Doubleheader? Plus, I want to see former communist areas and interact with elders there. 

I'd like to go, too.  My maternal family emigrated from East Germany and I still have distant relatives in eastern Germany today......wonder if any of them were in the Stasi lol  It'd be pretty cool to see where my maternal family came from.  I also dig German coins and notes, and I imagine I'd have many opportunities to buy some good German Empire, BRD and DDR stuff for my collection.

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/22/2021 at 8:57 PM, Mohawk said:

I'd like to go, too.  My maternal family emigrated from East Germany and I still have distant relatives in eastern Germany today......wonder if any of them were in the Stasi lol  It'd be pretty cool to see where my maternal family came from.  I also dig German coins and notes, and I imagine I'd have many opportunities to buy some good German Empire, BRD and DDR stuff for my collection.

The "stuff" I would be interested in is absolutely verboten to buy, sell, carry, wear, use, display, etc.  Just once, before I die, I'd love to hear the German's side of the story.

On 12/22/2021 at 10:21 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

The "stuff" I would be interested in is absolutely verboten to buy, sell, carry, wear, use, display, etc.  Just once, before I die, I'd love to hear the German's side of the story.

Here it is: “Gott mit uns.” End of story. Their side. 

On 12/23/2021 at 12:16 AM, VKurtB said:

Here it is: “Gott mit uns.” End of story. Their side. 

Yep.  As someone who has family who lived through that horrible nonsense, that sums it up, Kurt.  

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/23/2021 at 11:54 AM, Mohawk said:

Yep.  As someone who has family who lived through that horrible nonsense, that sums it up, Kurt.  

Yeah, nobody ever thinks God is on the other guy’s side. And nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. 

On 12/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, VKurtB said:

Yeah, nobody ever thinks God is on the other guy’s side. And nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. 

Yes, indeed, to both points.

Wait, the third song on Sabaton's Carolus Rex album released in Swden in 2012, explains everything?

I don't think so.

I saw (or heard) oral histories of former N who'd been meeting on the down low, extolling life back then and were still steadfast in their commitment to the cause.  Asked if they would have done anything differently, all said No!  (Ditto Pol Pot and Japanese soldiers who participated in the R of Nanking (1937).  I dare say I am the only member who has a hankering to see the City of God in the Rio favelas, Cite Soleil in Haiti, North Korea, Babi Yar not far from where my mother grew up (the Ukraine) Cuba, the Atacama desert in Chile and the site of #10 Rillington Place, etc. --- from the comfort of my own hovel.  

I Iove hearing about the OP's travels.  Everything I've ever done in life, I've done alone. Now, travel is a pipe dream. Go at it, Kurt!  I wish you a safe journey!

On 12/23/2021 at 2:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Wait, the third song on Sabaton's Carolus Rex album released in Swden in 2012, explains everything?

I don't think so.

I saw (or heard) oral histories of former N who'd been meeting on the down low, extolling life back then and were still steadfast in their commitment to the cause.  Asked if they would have done anything differently, all said No!  (Ditto Pol Pot and Japanese soldiers who participated in the R of Nanking (1937).  I dare say I am the only member who has a hankering to see the City of God in the Rio favelas, Cite Soleil in Haiti, North Korea, Babi Yar not far from where my mother grew up (the Ukraine) Cuba, the Atacama desert in Chile and the site of #10 Rillington Place, etc. --- from the comfort of my own hovel.  

I Iove hearing about the OP's travels.  Everything I've ever done in life, I've done alone. Now, travel is a pipe dream. Go at it, Kurt!  I wish you a safe journey!

I would love to visit the Atacama - land of more eclipses than anywhere should ever have. And the atmosphere is so clean and dry that some of the best ground-based astrophotography on earth is done there. I’d have to figure a way to drag my 4x5 with me if I went.  The next “Great American Solar Eclipse” is coming fast - April of 2024. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/30/2021 at 11:22 PM, VKurtB said:

I would love to visit the Atacama - land of more eclipses than anywhere should ever have. And the atmosphere is so clean and dry that some of the best ground-based astrophotography on earth is done there. I’d have to figure a way to drag my 4x5 with me if I went.  The next “Great American Solar Eclipse” is coming fast - April of 2024. 

...see pm to u from me.....