• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1918 D 1/2 Mark
2 2

31 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2021 at 4:53 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I really love this coin. It is a 1918 D 1/2 Mark. I really like the design but does anyone else think the reverse looks like a bird flew into the window? And its just stuck there to the glass all sprawled out? And his little hat popped off where he hit so hard? :roflmao:Polish_20211204_165151859.thumb.jpg.52c1346ff1a1d9cbd7f3b8e5567b38c1.jpgPolish_20211204_164714602.jpg.e40d35c62f9c1549fde4671a0e8d346e.jpg

Polish_20211204_164714602.jpg

...i think u nailed it......

You know, Hog, now that you mention it.......it does!  But, since the German Reichsadler is supposed to be a Golden Eagle (can you tell my maternal family is of recent German immigrant extraction?), I doubt it would manage to fly into a window.  Golden Eagles seem to manage windows pretty well. I've never heard of one flying into a window.  Now, Bald Eagles, on the other hand...........

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/bald-eagle-crashes-through-window-of-hr-block-office-in-virginia-beach/291-cfda67c7-999e-4e9d-a3be-8af4c26db2a8

I'm surprised this hasn't happened at this one restaurant in my village......the Bald Eagles have done everything else to this establishment.....gotten into the dumpsters and spread trash everywhere, painted the back of it with their excrement while consuming the trash......they've even buzzed customers when they're eating outside in the summer!! I'm waiting to see that restaurant with all of the windows busted out and filled with Bald Eagles trashing the place.  I don't know what those people did to the Bald Eagles, but they've really beat up on that restaurant.

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/4/2021 at 8:14 PM, Mohawk said:

You know, Hog, now that you mention it.......it does!  But, since the German Reichsadler is supposed to be a Golden Eagle (can you tell my maternal family is of recent German immigrant extraction?), I doubt it would manage to fly into a window.  Golden Eagles seem to manage windows pretty well. I've never heard of one flying into a window.  Now, Bald Eagles, on the other hand...........

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/bald-eagle-crashes-through-window-of-hr-block-office-in-virginia-beach/291-cfda67c7-999e-4e9d-a3be-8af4c26db2a8

I'm surprised this hasn't happened at this one restaurant in my village......the Bald Eagles have done everything else to this establishment.....gotten into the dumpsters and spread trash everywhere, painted the back of it with their excrement while consuming the trash......they've even buzzed customers when they're eating outside in the summer!! I'm waiting to see that restaurant with all of the windows busted out and filled with Bald Eagles trashing the place.  I don't know what those people did to the Bald Eagles, but they've really beat up on that restaurant.

What about Quintus’ “yellow chickens”?

On 12/4/2021 at 9:22 PM, VKurtB said:

What about Quintus’ “yellow chickens”?

I guess we're going to have to wait for him to update us on his window and chicken status lol  But in all seriousness, I could easily see a chicken smashing into a window like that, especially if it were angry.  Chickens completely lose their brains when they're angry.

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/4/2021 at 8:23 PM, Mohawk said:

I guess we're going to have to wait for him to update us on his window and chicken status lol  But in all seriousness, I could easily see a chicken flying into a window like that, especially if it were angry.  Chickens completely lose their brains when they're angry.

I once lost the outer pane of a thermal pair window to a stinking blue jay. That’s four addresses ago in Pennsylvania. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/4/2021 at 9:25 PM, VKurtB said:

I once lost the outer pane of a thermal pair window to a stinking blue jay.

We have a TON of Blue Jays around my house.  They occasionally smack windows, too.  Blue Jays are easily distracted and that's typically why it happens with them.  I'm sorry one took out your outer pane, Kurt.  I've actually never had a bird hit one of my windows and I've never been bombed by one, which is actually shocking.  I'm long overdue, given how frequently I've been out bird watching in my life.  That just means it'll probably be a Bald Eagle or Turkey Vulture that bombs me when my time comes.  The weirdest bird-window story I have from my personal life is that there was once this Turkey Vulture that was picking on my in-laws' cat.  The cat would get into the window and the vulture would scare the poop out of him.  Turkey Vultures are actually highly intelligent and they do play, so once this bird figured out how badly the cat reacted to it, it kept scaring the cat for its own amusement.  Eventually, the Turkey Vulture did move on, but I'm fairly certain that cat has a complex now.

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/4/2021 at 8:30 PM, Mohawk said:

We have a TON of Blue Jays around my house.  They occasionally smack windows, too.  Blue Jays are easily distracted and that's typically why it happens with them.  I'm sorry one took out your outer pane, Kurt.  I've actually never had a bird hit one of my windows and I've never been bombed by one, which is actually shocking.  I'm long overdue, given how frequently I've been out bird watching in my life.  That just means it'll probably be a Bald Eagle or Turkey Vulture that bombes me when my time comes.  The weirdest bird-window story I have from my personal life is that there was once this Turkey Vulture that was picking on my in-laws' cat.  The cat would get into the window and the vulture would scare the out of him.  Turkey Vultures are actually highly intelligent and they do play, so once this bird figured out how badly the cat reacted to it, it kept scaring the cat for its own amusement.  Eventually, the Turkey Vulture did move on, but I'm fairly certain that cat has a complex now.

I had a cat who took down a copperhead. She was a serious badass. Thought she was a mongoose or something. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/4/2021 at 9:32 PM, VKurtB said:

I had a cat who took down a copperhead. She was a serious badass.

DANG!!! That's a tough cat, for sure!!! My in-laws' cat is clearly not a badass in any sense of the word.  He's scared of everything, but he was an abandoned kitten, so he had a rough start, so we have to cut him some slack.

On 12/4/2021 at 9:33 PM, Mohawk said:

DANG!!! That's a tough cat, for sure!!! My in-laws' cat is clearly not a badass in any sense of the word.  He's scared of everything, but he was an abandoned kitten, so he had a rough start, so we have to cut him some slack.

Our cats mom is a copperhead killer. The people we got him from when he was a kitten said they witnessed his mom kill a copperhead. 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, Hoghead515 said:

The cardinals are bad for hitting windows around here. 

I've heard that from people up here, too, Hog.  Around here, it's typically when they're nesting and two males get into a fight that it happens.  The rest of the year, they seem okay at avoiding windows, for the most part.  Though I should amend this a bit......cardinals will also hit windows if a Cooper's Hawk is after them.  They'll smack into the window and the hawk will just come pick them up after that.  The Cooper's Hawks, on the other hand, never hit windows and seem to use them as hunting tools.  They seem to try to make other birds hit windows.  Most raptors are highly intelligent.....frighteningly so in many cases.

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/4/2021 at 8:39 PM, Mohawk said:

I've heard that from people up here, too, Hog.  Around here, it's typically when they're nesting and two males get into a fight that it happens in my neck of the woods.  The rest of the year, they seem okay at avoiding windows, for the most part.

I’m still figuring out the birds here. There are huge bunches of passers through on migration. Every compass point is downhill from me, so I’m wide open to the sky. Scary place to be in a thunderstorm. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/4/2021 at 9:42 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m still figuring out the birds here. There are huge bunches of passers through on migration.

Northern Alabama, right?  If so, you're on a major migration route.  All of the birds from the eastern parts of the U.S. and Canada that migrate down to the Southeast and Mexico pass through your region going and coming every year.  I'd imagine your avifauna is actually quite dynamic due to your location.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:45 PM, Mohawk said:

Northern Alabama, right?  If so, you're on a major migration route.  All of the birds from the eastern parts of the U.S. and Canada that migrate down to the Southeast and Mexico pass through your region going and coming every year.  I'd imagine your avifauna is actually quite dynamic due to your location.

Yep, the Appalachian ridge basically ends right where I am. One more parallel ridge just to my east. Other side of the Tennessee River valley.

Edited by VKurtB

On 12/4/2021 at 9:39 PM, Mohawk said:

I've heard that from people up here, too, Hog.  Around here, it's typically when they're nesting and two males get into a fight that it happens in my neck of the woods.  The rest of the year, they seem okay at avoiding windows, for the most part.  Though I should amend this a bit......cardinals will also hit windows if a Cooper's Hawk is after them.  They'll smack into the window and the hawk will just come pick them up after that.  The Cooper's Hawks, on the other hand, never hit windows and seem to use them as hunting tools.  They seem to try to make other birds hit windows.  Most raptors are highly intelligent.....frighteningly so in many cases.

Thats when it mostly happens here. Always the males. They see their reflection and think its a rival. And usually dont turn out pretty for them. Ive seen them attack the mirrors on our vechicles also. 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:46 PM, VKurtB said:

Yep, the Appalachian ridge basically ends right where I am.

Definitely on a major migration route, for sure.  The Golden Eagles and Turkey Vultures that live in my region most of the year actually come and spend the winter with you.  I also believe that the Black Vultures who are pioneering a population in my region overwinter in your region as well, but we're not totally certain on that yet.....Black Vultures are pretty new to us here in the Finger Lakes and we still have a lot to learn about our colonizers and their habits.

On 12/4/2021 at 9:46 PM, VKurtB said:

Yep, the Appalachian ridge basically ends right where I am. One more parallel ridge just to my east.

It runs right past us. We live in the appalachian foothills. 

On 12/4/2021 at 8:50 PM, Hoghead515 said:

It runs right past us. We live in the appalachian foothills. 

West side, right?

On 12/4/2021 at 9:48 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats when it mostly happens here. Always the males. They see their reflection and think its a rival. And usually dont turn out pretty for them. Ive seen them attack the mirrors on our vechicles also. 

Yep.....those male Northern Cardinals get all full of testosterone and lose their brains like chickens do when they're angry.  A breeding male Northern Cardinal isn't as dumb as a Koala by any stretch, but they definitely lose some brainpower when they're in breeding mode for sure!!! Testosterone can do some bad things to male animals.

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/4/2021 at 8:50 PM, Mohawk said:

Definitely on a major migration route, for sure.  The Golden Eagles and Turkey Vultures that live in my region most of the year actually come and spend the winter with you.  I also believe that the Black Vultures who are pioneering a population in my region overwinter in your region as well, but we're not totally certain on that yet.....Black Vultures are pretty new to us here in the Finger Lakes and we still have a lot to learn about our colonizers and their habits.

The geological variety here is unbelievable too. Drive 5 miles and the rocks change.

On 12/4/2021 at 9:51 PM, VKurtB said:

West side, right?

Yes sir. I live right in the far eastern side of Ky. We have some huge hills. We can drive an hr to the east and be right in the mountains. 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:52 PM, VKurtB said:

The geological variety here is unbelievable too. Drive 5 miles and the rocks change.

That's very cool!!!! I'm very much an amateur in regard to geology and most of what I know comes from fossils and fossil hunting, but I love rock formations.  They're often very beautiful.  We actually don't have that much variety in my region....the entire Finger Lakes region sits on the fossilized remains of a Devonian sea bed.  It means lots of really cool fossils, but also lots of the same kinds of shale, slate and limestone......not much variety.  You have to go downstate for geological variety here in New York.

On 12/4/2021 at 9:52 PM, VKurtB said:

Same here. We can go an hr to the west and be in flat ground. We have nothing but steep hills and a few rocks here in my county but the next county over has shorter hills and is nothing but cliffs and caves. If anyone is ever in this area you outta vist "Carter Caves State Resort Park."  Its a beautiful place. Though Carter County is full of caves on private property. Its got a few caves you can tour. I live 15 minutes from it. When you drop into my county you drop down into a deeper sea level. We have taller and steeper hills with less caves and cliffs. I actually know of only 1 cave in my county  and its on a private farm. 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:56 PM, Mohawk said:

That's very cool!!!! I'm very much an amateur in regard to geology and most of what I know comes from fossils and fossil hunting, but I love rock formations.  They're often very beautiful.  We actually don't have that much variety in my region....the entire Finger Lakes region sits on the fossilized remains of a Devonian sea bed.  It means lots of really cool fossils, but also lots of the same kinds of shale, slate and limestone......not much variety.  You have to go downstate for geological variety here in New York.

Almost every rock you pick up here has some kind of fossil in it. Mostly small invertabrates and shells. You can have a great time fossil hunting in the creeks. Ive found a couple very large snail fossils big as my fist when I was younger. I cant remember whatever happened to them. Usually can find a few arrowheads in the creeks also. 

I’m still figuring out the birds here. There are huge bunches of passers through on migration. Every compass point is downhill from me, so I’m wide open to the sky. Scary place to be in a thunderstorm. 

I got some cousins down in there close to you. Not exactly sure where. I know one is an hr west of Chattanooga and her dad lives more south. An hr from the ocean he claims. Not sure where the other 2 daughters are down there. They moved down there 25 years ago from Mansfield Ohio. 

On 12/4/2021 at 10:06 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Almost every rock you pick up here has some kind of fossil in it. Mostly small invertabrates and shells. You can have a great time fossil hunting in the creeks. Ive found a couple very large snail fossils big as my fist when I was younger. I cant remember whatever happened to them. Usually can find a few arrowheads in the creeks also. 

Now that's awesome!!! Around here, you can find all kinds of mollusks, their shells and other invertebrates.  The coolest finds around here are primitive fish, sea scorpions and trilobites.  Some people have even found teeth of Cladoselache, a primitive shark.  I've mostly found shells and mollusks, a few fossilized worms and their burrows.  People sometimes find arrowheads around here, too, but I never have.  

On 12/4/2021 at 9:11 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I got some cousins down in there close to you. Not exactly sure where. I know one is an hr west of Chattanooga and her dad lives more south. An hr from the ocean he claims. Not sure where the other 2 daughters are down there. They moved down there 25 years ago from Mansfield Ohio. 

Anyone an hour west of Nooga is basically in my backyard. Depends how fast you drive, and these people drive like their behinds are on fire.

Edited by VKurtB

I could have sworn someone mentioned my "yellow chickens" but I have been warned about non-numismaticesoterica and indulging in off-topic tapioca.

@Hoghead515 is very lucky. He's got an '18 half-mark, the envy of anyone who has ever had a penny farthing, with a Denver mint-mark no less! (Okay, just kidding, but the Germans did have at least ten mints.) I believe I still have a Hindenburg something or other with a swastika on it, my North Korean 5,000 Won note, the gazillion-dollar Zimbabwean note ️ a few odd, less frequently seen oddities were removed after now MIA long-time member, MM, others had been inquiring about, posted a historic gem the better part of discretion will not allow me to describe. Anyway, Back on Track... there are hundreds of bird-srtrikes on NYC skyscrapers every year during migratory seasons and everyone knows about the jetliner that was hit after take-off and had to ditch in the Hudson River. No yellow chickens.   🐓 

...that thumping u hear against ur sliding glass doors is non-flying georgia bulldogs migrating back to parts unknown at haste speed....