• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Needed - Is there micro-granularity on the surface of this Early American Copper coin?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Copper gurus... Here is a coin that I am considering purchasing and I need your help....to my eyes, these surfaces exhibit micro-granularity.  However, I am not 100%.  I can always return the coin, but I would rather not go through the hassle (and pass) if my suspicions are correct (the commercial TPG Grade is PCGS AU58).

s-l1600-3.thumb.jpg.ed6e3e1b8723959efc079c955e4f2360.jpgs-l1600-4.thumb.jpg.01576c3f89fed32f9393a59d39d04c7b.jpg

On 11/30/2021 at 4:15 AM, MarkFeld said:

That sounds like a fair way to describe the coin. However, it’s not particularly unusual on early copper coins and that one looks accurately graded to me.

Thanks… I was thinking my eyes were correct.  I agree that the details are sharp, and almost MS.  I have concerns with micro-granularity… it significantly impacts the net grade in EAC.  I will let the others weigh-in on their thoughts…. But… leaning toward “passing” on this one.

I think the surfaces are slightly granular with minimal porosity, very tough to find copper of this type and timeframe that will be totally free of either of these.   Judging from these photos only the TPG grade looks a touch optimistic to me but in line with todays market grading philosophy.   Overall a very attractive coin and depending on the price it could be a very nice addition to a collection of early copper.

On 11/30/2021 at 6:56 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Thanks to you both for responding and validating my assessment.

question to the group….. does the micro-granularity bother you at all?

No, not all.  And even if it did, what could be done about it?

It's been authenticated, certified and encapsulated.

Tough call, I like the coin and would enjoy owning it at a slightly lower price point than it is currently being offered at.   However it is being offered very close to the PCGS price guide and the price in that guide has been moving up.   The pictures from the 2019 auction of this coin when last auctioned give a little different view and perspective of the coin vs these photos.   In Sep 2020 there was a CAC beaned example that was auctioned off by Goldberg which hammered for just under $1K.   And then just this past April an NGC CAC example (EAC AU55) sold for over $4K, so there is a pretty wide spread in prices for the better quality pieces.   Do I think there are better examples at the AU58 grade level yes; but the question is when will they be available, at what cost, and are you prepared to wait.

I have really been on the fence with it.  But, I think it's best I wait for a smooth, choice example.  Personally, I would rather have a baby-smooth AU53-55 over a grainy AU58.  The C-1 is the most common variety for that year, so I would not be able to "upgrade inexpensively" without duplicating the variety.  Thanks all for helping me to work through it.