• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint damage?

42 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2021 at 10:25 PM, Keith Dee said:

I know someone who wanted that Nazi coin. I’ll just surprise her and give it to her tomorrow. She probably wants it for her husband and I don’t know the guy lol. If he wants bad mojo then that’s on him. They’re a dime a dozen on eBay. Without the mint mark I can’t tell if it’s the rare 1943 anyway and even something doesn’t feel right about making money off it.

Man, that former boss of yours sounds like he collected some CREEPY stuff, Keith!! That kind of a room would definitely make me uncomfortable as well.  And, like I said, I like German stuff......but not that German stuff.  Much more into East and West Germany.  My spring and fall jacket is actually a repro of a West German Border Guard tunic of the 1960s-80s style.  From your picture, your coin is a 1943-A....I could just make out the mintmark.  So, you wouldn't be giving away a coin worth any significant money.  And I think the plan to give it away is a good one......it gets it out of your life quickly and easily.  None of us wants to keep something around that makes us feel creepy.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:46 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Good point.  While a partial indent is technically a strike through, the OP coin may not be struck through another planchet.  Could be struck through remnants of a die cap which could be thinner and allow for some design transfer and would also explain the irregular shape

Ok, now we are on the same page, just took a minute for me to think "outside the box":). My thought process was that you were talking about an entire round blank....not a fragment.  Yes, a partial indent is a strike through regardless of what got in the way of the strike.  I can see how remnants of a die cap could tear apart after being repeatedly struck time and time again, making the die cap very thin, and then tearing into odd shapes.  This thin piece of misshaped die cap could then become the object that caused the struck through on the op's coin.  Thanks for putting up with my theories on this one but it appears we were thinking the same thing all along.(thumbsu

On 11/28/2021 at 12:29 PM, GBrad said:

Ok, now we are on the same page, just took a minute for me to think "outside the box":). My thought process was that you were talking about an entire round blank....not a fragment.  Yes, a partial indent is a strike through regardless of what got in the way of the strike.  I can see how remnants of a die cap could tear apart after being repeatedly struck time and time again, making the die cap very thin, and then tearing into odd shapes.  This thin piece of misshaped die cap could then become the object that caused the struck through on the op's coin.  Thanks for putting up with my theories on this one but it appears we were thinking the same thing all along.(thumbsu

In my opinion, the most important thing that this board can do is provide accurate answers.  I try to make sure my replies are correct, but sometimes they're not.  In this case, I was thinking partial indent but couldn't remember the terminology, so I checked error ref.  I didn't take the time to compare the pics to the OP coin so I missed the distorted shape.  You pointed out those details and I believe it helped get to a better answer.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:48 PM, Oldhoopster said:

In my opinion, the most important thing that this board can do is provide accurate answers.

I also agree 100%!!! Thank you for your kind comment too.

Edited by GBrad

On 11/28/2021 at 11:01 PM, Keith Dee said:

The first photo looks like the same shape of indent in my penny.http://www.error-ref.com/brockage-counterbrockage_combination_8_ways/ 

I’m sorry there’s so much going on here I can’t rap my head around it. Does any of the 8 combinations of brockage/counterbrockage look like it could be the culprit?

On 11/28/2021 at 11:08 PM, Keith Dee said:

I’m sorry there’s so much going on here I can’t rap my head around it. Does any of the 8 combinations of brockage/counterbrockage look like it could be the culprit?

Brockages and Counterbrokages are very difficult to determine even with a real example coin in hand.  Here is a quote straight from the same link you supplied in one of your previous posts:

[Copy and pasted from error-ref.com] 

The eight scenarios presented above represent the simplest paths to a brockage-counterbrockage error. Naturally, things can get much more complicated.

Brockages are a totally different animal than a "simple" (using this word loosely) struck through error.  Your coin is not a result of any form of brockage.  I feel relevantly confident that your coin has been determined to be a very nice example of a struck through error caused by an irregular shaped piece of a very thin die cap.  Even though this was determined in a roundabout way with the help of @Oldhoopster (which I am grateful for). Your struck through coin definitely appears to have been caused by a very thin and odd shaped sliver of the remnants of a piece of a capped die.  Had the foreign object, meaning the thin sliver piece of a dismantled die cap been anything thicker, we would not be able to see some of the letters of IGWT nor the outline of Lincoln's profile.  Hope this helps.  

Should I get it authenticated or just go by what we believe it to be. I got free coin grading submission through ANA. Is this worth sending in to NGC or is there another place best suited for error coins? 

On 11/29/2021 at 12:27 PM, Keith Dee said:

Should I get it authenticated or just go by what we believe it to be. I got free coin grading submission through ANA. Is this worth sending in to NGC or is there another place best suited for error coins? 

By no means am I one to give the best advice on submissions here but I will tell you what I have learned from the pros here on this forum.  I believe, if you would like to submit your coin in this instance, that ANACS is the best way to go.  From what I understand they are a very good TPG to submit to for potential errors such as your coin.  Their costs are (once again, from what I gather) some of the lowest for attributing and slabbing error coins (you'd have to check their prices).  I believe your Cent, as well as others here have commented, is a strike through.  In the grand scheme of errors, this type of error is near the bottom of the food chain so to speak (NO disrespect at all for your coin, I think it is a nice).  We, here on the forum, have tried to determine what caused the appearance of your coin and the unanimous decision has been that it is a struck through of some sort.  If you would like to submit it then please do so.  I do not think there is anything wrong at all with submitting a coin such as yours that has the true potential of being returned and slabbed a mint error "Struck Through".  Good luck.  

If I found this coin, I would do some research to find some sold prices for similar examples. My GUESS (notice the emphasis on guess) is that it may be $25-35 error.  

If the research confirmed that, I would send it to ANACS for cost effective authentication (you may need to send in a few coins to take advantage of their specials)  If it has a higher market value, then I would consider NGC.  I would also hope that it would be labeled "struck through die cap" or "partial indent" (or whatever they determine) instead of the generic "strike through". I think that would add some value.

However, it's pretty easy for error dealers or collectors to see that this is a legit error, even without the slab.  I think just putting it in a 2x2 would also be a good option.  IMO, this comes down to your personal preference if it's not a high value coin.  Hope my slightly vague and fuzzy explanation helps

On 11/29/2021 at 3:22 PM, Oldhoopster said:

If I found this coin, I would do some research to find some sold prices for similar examples. My GUESS (notice the emphasis on guess) is that it may be $25-35 error.  

If the research confirmed that, I would send it to ANACS for cost effective authentication (you may need to send in a few coins to take advantage of their specials)  If it has a higher market value, then I would consider NGC.  I would also hope that it would be labeled "struck through die cap" or "partial indent" (or whatever they determine) instead of the generic "strike through". I think that would add some value.

However, it's pretty easy for error dealers or collectors to see that this is a legit error, even without the slab.  I think just putting it in a 2x2 would also be a good option.  IMO, this comes down to your personal preference if it's not a high value coin.  Hope my slightly vague and fuzzy explanation helps

I agree with everything Hoopster just said.  Same thing I tried to relay but he did it much better.:)

On 11/29/2021 at 3:22 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Yes your explanation does help along with Gbrads. I will put it in my own holder and call it a strike through error since everyone here agrees to some degree that that’s what it is. It gives me confidence that if I decide to part with it that any collector interested in buying it will be able to tell it’s a true mint error. Although I will look into having it authenticated in the future as they may label it something different like you said. And I do have other coins like my 1942 D over horizontal D and 2000 wide AM penny I’d like to have slabbed at some point.