• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1878P 8TF Question?

6 posts in this topic

NGC  has the mintage for the 1878 8TF as 749,500. My question is what does NGC or who ever estimate how many have survived? Since so many Morgan Dollars were melted in 1918 by the US government 1918 Pittman Act ( 350 million melted),  by private companies, and made into jewelry, and or ware and damaged. What would the estimated population left of the 8TF. I bought one back in May toned with double clashs and other attributes. Thank you, Ron 

Polish_20210531_224955585.jpg

Polish_20210531_225316437.jpg

Edited by Tennessean

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There is no way to determine the surviving population of 1878 8TF dollars. The government's melting of silver dollars was recorded by the number of coins without respect to date and mint. Ditto for any commercially melted coins.

No one can say for sure, I have seen one estimate that claimed a survival of 250,000.   But that is just an educated guess, these are not rare by any measure as NGC has close to 15,000 in its pop report and PCGS shows over 20,000 in its pop report.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:50 PM, DWLange said:

There is no way to determine the surviving population of 1878 8TF dollars. The government's melting of silver dollars was recorded by the number of coins without respect to date and mint. Ditto for any commercially melted coins.

Thanks 

On 11/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, Coinbuf said:

No one can say for sure, I have seen one estimate that claimed a survival of 250,000.   But that is just an educated guess, these are not rare by any measure as NGC has close to 15,000 in its pop report and PCGS shows over 20,000 in its pop report.

Thank you. 

On 11/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, Coinbuf said:

I've heard an estimate of around 250,000 as well, Coinbuf.  But, yes, these are definitely not rare.  They have a higher price than other Morgans of similar survivorship estimates because they're a one-year type and there's demand from both Morgan collectors and type collectors for them.